Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

manual or automatic?

Old 09-20-2007, 08:47 PM
Mustang.
1st Gear Member

Default manual or automatic?

i was wondering if i had over 400 hp if i can still have fun with an automatic tranny? or should i go with a 5 speed? i have people telling me that i would get sick and tired of a manual, having to shift all the time and stuff. but what i think is that with such a powerful car it would be fun to have a manual. what do you guys think? would i grow sick and tired of it, or would it be fun?
Old 09-20-2007, 08:59 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Default RE: manual or automatic?

I think I love manuals Nothing like banging through gears. However, I don't think I'd enjoy swapping from auto to manual; that's a fair amount of hassle I don't feel like dealing with.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:31 PM
xswoopr
1st Gear Member

It totally depends on what you like. My'66 was a factory 3 speed manual, but someone put in an auto before I owned it. I never really liked it. So just a few weeks ago, after having the automatic for the past 25 years I swapped it for a 5 speed. I freakin love it. It's like a different car now, way more fun to drive. But that's me, I always prefered a stick. Nothing like rowing through the gears.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:19 PM
Mustang.
1st Gear Member

was it a big hassle to switch? and if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for the swap?
Old 09-20-2007, 11:13 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Im kinda curious on this too? Im in full restoration right now, and although Im not planning on the tranny anytime soon, I've often thought about which I should go with. I've heard an auto is easier to set up, especially since mine was originally auto. And I think Ill have enough hp to not have to worry about having a "slow auto"...
Old 09-20-2007, 11:40 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

I've swapped from a 4-speed toploader to a T5 in a '65 coupe and an auto to a T5 in a '65 fastback. Both swaps were pretty easy. The auto to T5 was slightly more effort only because I had to swap pedals, which itself can be done in an hour or so.

My advice is to get a 5.0L bellhousing and clutch release lever and use a cable or hydraulic activated clutch. The price will be about a wash (cost of all the stock mechanical linkage gets pricey if you buy new repop stuff) and it will operate better and be easier on your left leg.

Good luck!
Jeff
Old 09-20-2007, 11:49 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

+1 on the manual, especially for a weekend car... The 66 came with a 3 speed manual, but we are using nothing from the original setup. The swap was easy enough, just make sure all of the parts will work together.

Jeff has given very good advise about the bell housing and clutch release setups. Several months back he recomended the Mustang Steve cable clutch setup to me and I am glad he did, it works great and is as smooth as silk.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:53 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

Ah, I'm glad I got something right. One more thing to consider when swapping from auto to manual is to convert to roller bearings in the pedal support while you've got it out. I have the Mustang Steve bearing kit which is welded in place but I believe Scott Drake also makes a kit which may be bolt-on.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:03 AM
Mustang.
1st Gear Member

still no one has said how much $$$ it's gonna run me? can i do it for around $1000 with properly selected parts, or is that way off?
Old 09-21-2007, 12:18 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mustang.

still no one has said how much $$$ it's gonna run me? can i do it for around $1000 with properly selected parts, or is that way off?
IMO $1,000will be a little thin, unless you do some damn good junkyard shopping!

A new clutch will set you back about $300 alone. That still leaves you needing a used bell housing, transmission,clutch linkage, throwout fork, and a flywheel.

It might be possible to find a servicable clutch and flywheelwhen all the other stuff is bought from the junkyard...

It would be possible,, but...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: manual or automatic?