Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Still over heating

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 09:09 PM
jonm1a1
2nd Gear Member

Default Still over heating

OK OK OK
This car has got me stomped. It has now;
1. New Radiotor 3 row
2. New thermostat installed correctly
3. new WORKING water pump
I was told the only thing left is that when it was rebuilt a seal was put wrong on the paasenger side of the engine. Has anyone ever heard of this on a 289? and does anyone else have a good idea of what is going on?

Old 09-20-2007, 09:26 PM
Cogtx
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Still over heating

One of the radiator hoses may be collaped when you are driving. Some hoses have a coiled spring in them to prevent them from closing off at the bend. Coils rust after awhile and can cause hose to block water flow. R U overheating at idle or while driving?
Old 09-20-2007, 09:26 PM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

The gasket can appear to be on correctly but actually be flipped the wrong way. This partially obstructs the water passages and will cause the engine to over heat if thats the actual problem. Did the impeller directionon the replacement water pump match the old one (a long shot).Is there a lot of heat from the radiator when the engine isrunning or is it just warm? Whats your timing? Has the engine been bored? Did they hot tank the blockduring the re-build? Do you have a shroud for the fan?
Old 09-20-2007, 10:13 PM
jonm1a1
2nd Gear Member

Over heats sitting there and the radiator gets really hot. hoses are fine and i don't even take the car out of the drive way now that it overheats
I made sure the water pump was going the right way i checked it offthe old pump and themanual.No shroud for the fannot boreded, no hot tank not sure about timing. I will say this,I took the top hose off and water never came throught there even after it got hot. I also took out the thermastat to look. and the same thing.

I am going to replace both gaskets see if that fixes it. That is really i think the only thing left besinds a rebuild

Old 09-20-2007, 10:55 PM
plainsman1876
2nd Gear Member

If you have a 5 ,6,or 7 blade fan you need to put a shroud on the radiator ,and make sure that the fan is part way sticking out of the shroud. Then get you some Redline Water Wetter in with your antifreeze , it will help it to run 20 degrees cooler
Old 09-21-2007, 08:55 AM
pctjk

Here's another thought. when cold take the radiator cap off......check the coolant level in the radiator. Fill if necessay. Start the engine and let it get hot (thermostat opening up) can you see the coolant flow along the inside top of the radiator? If yes, the thermostat is working, If no, take the thermostat out and check it for operation. Drop it in a pan of boiling water, does it open? No? replace, Yes, continue checking. 289's have always had a cooling issue, especially if the engine was pumped up. If the intake manifold gaskets have been installed incorrectly, then they would blocked off one of the coolant ports to the head, stopping the flow of coolant. The gaskets are marked "this side up" You would need to drain the cooling system and pull the intake off to check for sure. If running a four blade fan, upgrade to a better fan and install a shroud. Make sure your fan spacer puts the fan 1 -1.5" away from the radiator to better draw the air thru. You could also remove the fan altogether and install an electric aftermarket fan to the radiator.

Jeff
ASE-Engines
Old 09-21-2007, 05:14 PM
badazz68stang
2nd Gear Member

Make sure the thermostat wasnt installed backwards. It happens often.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:55 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Ok, couple corrections first.

1) Intake gaskets cannot be installed incorrectly. They have coolant passages on both sides, not just one. It's the HEAD gaskets that can be installed incorrectly. If you install them backwards ('this side up' facing towards the block'), they block proper coolant flow and will cause the engine to overheat.

2) Without a shroud, the fan should be 1/2" to 1" from the radiator, otherwise it's going to start sucking in air from behind the radiator. However, a fan shroud would be a very good investment.

3) The spring in the lower hose to keep it from collapsing during normal operation is a myth. It was a factory deal to keep the hose from collapsing from the vacuum they put on the system to remove air bubbles while filling the block with coolant. It's not required for normal operation. If your hose is collapsing during high rpm's, it needs to be replaced.

Now, you shouldn't be able to take the upper hose off without coolant spilling everywhere. If you can, there isn't enough coolant in the system. Fill up to 1" from the top of the radiator, run the engine up to operating temp, and add more if the level drops. Also, set the timing (recommend 8-12* advance, as high as you can get it without pinging).

If you still have problems, I'd try adding a 6-blade solid or clutch fan (if you're using an OE 4-blade) and a fan shroud.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:29 PM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

Default Believe it or not it could be fuel related

Check your carb idle mixture screw settings. Try richening the fuel mix. The 3-row radiator and other mods should have eliminated all cooling issues if it was related to the cooling system. A carb that is adjusted to lean will cause the motor to run hot every time, in fact that is why those that use super and turbo chargers run the mix rich to help avoid over heating because extra unburned fuel acts as a heat sink that wicks away heat.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:40 PM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Believe it or not it could be fuel related

I think its down to one of two things. No flow, or the fan is too far from the radiator (no shroud does not help) circumventing the air around the fan and not thru the radiator. How far is the fan from the radiator? Is their enough fluid in the radiator and is it moving (Leave the cap off and bring the engine up to tempature, look to see if the fluid is moving across the top rows of the radiator). You should see a constant flow. If not, then something is obstructed. Be careful not to get burnt.

Quick Reply: Still over heating