Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

media blasting / primer quote.. good deal or not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 05:27 PM
wil33562
1st Gear Member

Default media blasting / primer quote.. good deal or not?

I live in Northeast Arkansas and have been looking for someone that does media blasting. I have finally found someone, and the shop is only about 1.5 miles from my house.

The guy quoted me $450 - $600 to media blast my 66 Mustang inside and out with coal slag. He said he could use soda but it would be between $800 - $1000. He also quoted me $150 to put a single coat of primer on all areas once the blasting is done.

I will have to pull out all of the interior, trim, engine, trans, and glass myself.

Is this a good deal or should I keep looking?

Thanks,
Kris
Old 09-21-2007, 05:45 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

Default RE: media blasting / primer quote.. good deal or not?

FWIW, I'm in L.A. where prices are typically higher. I had the exterior and underside of the hood and trunk deck blasted (can't recall the media except that I know it was green and the blaster described it as an artificial blaster ... maybe 4reboy on this board knows the product as we had it done at the same place) for $550 and then epoxy primered for $350. I pulled everything myself as well. It sounds like your price is in the ballpark.

Good luck!
Jeff
Old 09-21-2007, 07:37 PM
remicks
4th Gear Member

That sounds like a decent price to me. When I lived in Jersey I was looking at twice that price to get my car blasted. Its because they had so many EPA restrictions and everything. Now back here in the Detroit area its around $500-$600. Soda is a real good choice, or you can go with walnut shells, but watch out for other heavier media like sand because it will either eat too much or heat up and warp your metal.
Old 09-22-2007, 01:10 AM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Gothand and I sandblasted our cars at the same place, same time, mine was like 550 i think for the blasting, inside and outside (more than gothand). The primer sounds like a good price, just make sure he blasts out all the sand with some air and that the primer is epoxy primer (better rust protectant and just better in general)
Old 09-22-2007, 01:12 AM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Oh yeah and don't soda blast it. Soda blast = bad. Its too gentle, it won't remove much of hte rust, and think bondo and all that will also be unharmed. Also as you figured out its very costly. I just know my sandblaster guy said that sodablasting isn't the best and too much $$$
Old 09-22-2007, 01:21 AM
remicks
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 4reboy

Oh yeah and don't soda blast it. Soda blast = bad. Its too gentle, it won't remove much of hte rust, and think bondo and all that will also be unharmed. Also as you figured out its very costly. I just know my sandblaster guy said that sodablasting isn't the best and too much $$$
What would be a good media then? I was explained that soda was just strong enough to blast off the bondo and rust. And then sand would be too rough and heat up the thin sheet metal and warp it.
Old 09-22-2007, 01:54 AM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: remicks
What would be a good media then? I was explained that soda was just strong enough to blast off the bondo and rust. And then sand would be too rough and heat up the thin sheet metal and warp it.
My sandblasting place used some composite sand, called green something... lol don't remember. Its not too abrasive but just right. And yes sand can heat up the metal and warp it, but only if a novice does it. If a pro does it, there shouldn't be a problem at all. The trick is I guess to point the blaster at a sharp angle at the metal rather than straight on, and obviously don't focus in one area for a long time. And sure sand is rough but the first coat of primer will/should fill in the voids quite well without any problems

Oh and FWIW, I sandblasted the engine bay of my car myself before doin the whole are (didn't plan out well ) and used aluminum oxide. I believe it was rated at 80 grit or something like that. For more clarification real "sand" isn't used, its always some composite or other media. Thats why its usually called media blasting rather than sand blasting because sand is rarely used.
Old 09-22-2007, 01:55 AM
JohnnyK
2nd Gear Member

Cheaper than what it cost me. AND my guy used my DP50 OVERTOP of some sand, so I have to take it down anyways.. Oh yeah, and the rockers were left filled completely with wet sand.
Old 09-22-2007, 02:09 AM
remicks
4th Gear Member

Green Silicon Carbide?
Old 09-22-2007, 02:22 AM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: remicks

Green Silicon Carbide?
Sounds like that could be it. But i think it was green something as in the product name rather than a technical name. I'm not sure, it was all done a while ago so theres no way I can remember for sure. But green silicon carbine sound about right. I just know it was a composite material that was literally green and worked real nice

Quick Reply: media blasting / primer quote.. good deal or not?