Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Brake booster question

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 01:36 AM
Mustang Dad
2nd Gear Member

Default Brake booster question

Just had the brakes fail on our '65 in the middle of traffic!! Checked the MC level and quess what...empty! Refilled the MC, pumped the brakes twice and the brakes came right back. NOw to find the problem. Took the car out tothe auto shop at the local Navy base and got it up on a lift only to find out there were no leaks in the individual wheek cylinders or the lines, BUT the bottom of the brake booster was dripping wet. Pulled the MC and found the rear most -o-ring seal was leaking. The question I have is.........If the MC is leaking at the booster, can the leaking fluid get into the booster? Will I have to replace the booster or can it be drained (if there is fluid i it) and be reused? A rebuild kit is on order for the MC.
Old 09-22-2007, 01:58 AM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Brake booster question

I replaced both my master cylinder and brake booster on my car, well the booster was rebuilt. Someone told us the master cylinder was trashed so we got a new one, but when we too the booster off it turned out it was also filled with liquid. We didn't know this untill we accidently tipped it over just right so this nasty dirty fluid came out, it was clearly brake fluid. So if just your master cylinder is bad I suppose you can drain the booster and put on a new master and it will be fine with a new seal. However if the "diaphram" in the booster is broken the brake fluid will get to the other part of the booster and it will greatly affect the vacuum (mainly because the diaphram is broker)

For peace of mind I would replace the master, and at least get the booster rebuilt (not too expensive). When it comes to brakes you don't want to take short cuts
Old 09-22-2007, 02:11 AM
Mustang Dad
2nd Gear Member

The system is (or was) working prefectly until it ran dry, so I dont think the diaphram is damaged. Gonna rebuild the MC, pull and drain the booster and see what happens. Gonna do a little painting as well before restalling everything.
Old 09-22-2007, 02:15 AM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

I think of it as a "while its apart,, i might as well" I would probably just replace it anyways.. It wouldnt hurt anything..
Old 09-22-2007, 02:20 AM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: boogerschnot

I think of it as a "while its apart,, i might as well" I would probably just replace it anyways.. It wouldnt hurt anything..
nothin but the wallet

well if it was working well before then I think you're fine, just give it a shot, worst case is you have to pull it again and replace the booster.
Old 09-22-2007, 02:28 AM
Mustang Dad
2nd Gear Member

Always try the simplest things first. If it doenst work, the only thing I have lost is my time.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:31 PM
Mustang Dad
2nd Gear Member

Just got the MC rebuilt today, the booster cleaned out and the system bled. WORKS LIKE A CHAMP!!!. Stops on a dime, gives me 9 cents change back and doesnt pull in either direction. Ya gotta love the simplicity of these systems. Did a bit of sanding on the roof to remove some corrosion and primed. Next week we move on to the hood scoop. Then side scoops, rear valance and then a full paint job