Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 10:27 AM
green_blurr
3rd Gear Member

Default Shocks

I guess while im down there i can replace those god awfull air adjust shocks. There are alot of aftermarket shocks out there which ones do i choose i have heard good stuff about KYB and Koni shocks what are the pros and cons of each?

As you can see my right passenger shock has collapsed and the drivers is still inflated crappy deal
And the previous owner just welded a plate and didnt even bother to change it.

[IMG]local://upfiles/43944/2A69FCCD708B49D397E5A6ADDD5CB880.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/43944/045F6151BFEC4927A4B55E108012EDB7.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-23-2007, 10:41 AM
paddy187
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Shocks

Koni as used by shelby, adjustable, used by many opentrakkers. Bad point not cheap.
KYB cheaper non-adjustable well liked by non-racers

I went with Koni's as they are Dutch and I being european like a harder ride than most americans
Old 09-23-2007, 11:00 AM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

KYB Gas-A-Just
Old 09-23-2007, 11:06 AM
green_blurr
3rd Gear Member

Whats the difference between gas adjust and air adjust able shocks you air up with a hose?
Old 09-23-2007, 12:05 PM
slick66stang
3rd Gear Member

i dont know the difference but i have air shocks u pump up with a hose and i love the ride and stance of my car with them on
Old 09-23-2007, 12:17 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Air shocks and Mustangs do not mix at all. Good way to punch holes through the car. The rear upper shock mounts are not reinforced and are not designed to take anything near the weight of the car.

KYB Gas-A-Just shocks are great. I have a set on my 67 and I love them. They're high pressure gas charged shocks. Unlike normal shocks, they run at higher pressures to keep cavitation down and ensure good handling at all times. Because of this, however, they tend to be rather stiff when compared to standard street shocks.

Koni's are adjustable (and expensive), the idea being that you set them on the lowest setting and then slowly adjust them as they wear, then rebuild them when you can't adjust anymore. The catch with these is that they're STIFF. Great for track use though.

Edelbrock IAS shocks aresupposed to be amazing. They have an inertia operated valve system that stiffens the shocks on smooth roads and softens them on rougher roads, providing great handling without sacrificing ride quality. One of my coworkers has a set that he's going to sell me, says they worked great for the 200mi he drove with them.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:33 PM
ky
America ftw

i have air shocks, and i like being able to adjust the ride height. if i get kyb gas-a-just, will i still be able to change the ride hieght? and if i put kyb's, will it sit pretty low or pretty high? i just want the rear to be slightly higher than the front, and its a lot easier to fill the shocks with air than to tear apart the front end and cut your springs.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:26 PM
paddy187
4th Gear Member

Shocks aren't for ride height as it has been mentioned. It is a lot easier to cut springs buy lower kit etc than cut out damaged area get replacement metal weld in piece clear up weld curse the fool that put airshocks in the first place.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:43 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: paddy187

Shocks aren't for ride height as it has been mentioned. It is a lot easier to cut springs buy lower kit etc than cut out damaged area get replacement metal weld in piece clear up weld curse the fool that put airshocks in the first place.
Exactly. If your rear end is sagging, replace the springs. Air shocks are not the solution.

And no KYB Gas-A-Just shocks are not adjustable, despite the name.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:30 PM
xswoopr
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: paddy187

Air shocks can also cause significant handling problems. Consider making a hard left turn. The shock on the right side compresses forcing the pressure through the connecting air line to the left shock which lifts theleft side of the car exactly when you don't want it to. The chances of rolling a car with an aggressive turn is greatly increased with air shocks.

Quick Reply: Shocks