Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

shelby uca relocation

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 07:37 PM
ky
America ftw

Default shelby uca relocation

whats the overall reason for doing this? will it give me more clearence for wheels? does it improve handling all that much? i know i can get a kit to do this. what deos everyone think about it? who has done it and how hard is the overall project?
Old 09-23-2007, 07:57 PM
ky
America ftw

Default RE: shelby uca relocation

nevermind i found the thread about relocation. can anyone tell me where i can get the kit that comes with the templates, ball joints, and hardware? i found this http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/...rms/index.html .
Old 09-23-2007, 08:03 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

The original suspension geometry, designed for use on the Falcon, is set up so that the tire stays mostly vertical during suspension travel. This is great for ride quality and tire wear on straight roads, but is horrible for handling.

The UCA relocation changes the suspension geometry, giving you negative camber at the outside wheel during cornering to keep the tires flat on the road. It also changes the roll center of thefront endto a point below ground level, further stabilizing the car. A side effect is that it lowers the front end 1/2-3/4".

You don't need a kit to do the drop, but you can get templates (like the one Daze sells) that will make life easier. But really, all you need is coil spring compressor, a ruler, a drafting triangle, and a drill.

You don't need to replace the ball joints if you're doing a standard drop. The ball joints will only bind at the severe limits of travel, and you're not likely to encounter that much on a street car.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:20 PM
ky
America ftw

wow that helped A LOT. thanks. so i dont need new ball joints and stuff if im only dropping it 1 inch? whose Daze? i can get the template from them?
Old 09-23-2007, 08:26 PM
mySAVIOReigns
3rd Gear Member

Daze is a member on here - he is the master of suspension lol

www.dazecars.com

yes, you can buy the template from him. And that's right, you don't need a wedge kit or anything if you're just dropping 1"
Old 09-23-2007, 08:34 PM
Decurion
2nd Gear Member

I just found out the hard wayon friday that the back edge of the control arms hit the shock towers. If you do the drop, just install the control arms without any shims before you put the springs back in, tighten them up a bit, and make sure they swing all the way from top to bottom without hitting. Its a minor problem, and you may not even have to do anything,but its a real pain in the *** to find out while at the alignment shop.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:36 PM
ky
America ftw

do they try to charge you a bunch of money at the shop if you need shims?
Old 09-23-2007, 08:57 PM
mySAVIOReigns
3rd Gear Member

nope. A shim is like a thin washer. They probably cost like 1/10 of a cent lol. If they charge you for that, that's ridiculous
Old 09-23-2007, 09:35 PM
ky
America ftw

no i know wtf a shim is. it sounded like decurion said i have to figure out the shims myself or ill get charged for the shop to do it. so do i need any shims with the relocation or not? should i leave the shims that are already there or should i ditch em?
Old 09-23-2007, 11:20 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Shims are ALWAYS included with an alignment if so required. The trick is finding an alignment tech that's good with shims, since you don't see them very often anymore.

Quick Reply: shelby uca relocation