Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

OK, Bought my parts car, what do I need?

Old 09-23-2007, 08:20 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

Default OK, Bought my parts car, what do I need?

I bought a '65 coupe with a 289 for parts. Since my car is an I6, I want to make sure I get all the v8 stuff off of it. Time is of the essence here, since SWMBO ain't gonna tolerate a rusted hulk in the driveway forever, so ........

What all parts do I need off the v8 car?

I already know: rearend, driveshaft ( both are auto cars), engine mounts (frame end), thottle linkage (but may go Locar in the end), radiator, I pulled the engine wiring harness (someone somewhere said I needed it), accessory mounting brackets, distributor..............

What else do I need off of this car?

All responses welcome, especially if you have converted from I6 to V8.

BTW, the parts car has a pony interior that is in awesome shape, what parts are different between standard interior and pony interior?
Old 09-23-2007, 08:26 PM
ky
America ftw

Default RE: OK, Bought my parts car, what do I need?

door panel, upholstery, it depends on the options. i would definately swap to pony int. if theres any good metal parts that you need because of rust get them. like battery tray
Old 09-23-2007, 08:35 PM
connor90
4th Gear Member

youll need the front spindels...the i6 spindles arent strong enough to hold the extra weight
Old 09-23-2007, 08:42 PM
mustanglover66
4th Gear Member

you need all the steering componts from the pitman arm to the spindles. The steering box is the only thing common to both V8 and I6
Old 09-23-2007, 09:08 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Save anything you can unbolt or unhookand store away. Anything that you get rid of you will almost certainly need later....

But other than this, I think everything else you might need has been touched on in this thread.

Get bolts, as many as you can, you can never have too many of those good stock bolts, and any other original hardware and parts you can put your hands on.

It is the little things that will kill you.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:13 PM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

[align=left]James said it all. Save all the bolts and store away everything else you possibly can. If you don't use it, ebay it.
ORIGINAL: JMD
[/align]
Save anything you can unbolt or unhookand store away. Anything that you get rid of you will almost certainly need later....

But other than this, I think everything else you might need has been touched on in this thread.

Get bolts, as many as you can, you can never have too many of those good stock bolts, and any other original hardware and parts you can put your hands on.

It is the little things that will kill you.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:37 AM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

I'm planning to eBay some stuff. If anyone needs anything, let me know, forum members come first. I'll tell you right now that there are no salvagable body parts, but I've got a complete drivetrain (actually 2, one 289 and one I6, both have auto trannies).
Old 09-24-2007, 09:25 AM
colostang
2nd Gear Member

The I6 tranny will not bolt up directly to the 289 so keep the 289 C4.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:45 AM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

Thanks, but I have a fresh 302 and C-4 tranny to go in, so I've got 2 extra motors and 2 extra trannys.

Again, let me know if anyone needs any non-body parts from a '65 coupe. I'm keeping all the v8 upgrade parts (subject of this post) but other than the body being totally unsalvagable, there's lots of good parts on it.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:18 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

Here's what I've found out, let me know if you see any omissions.

Front Suspension: drag link, tie rod ends and adjusters, idler arm, pitman arm, spindles , springs and brakes. I plan to do the Granada disk swap, so the spindles and brakes don't matter, also getting new springs. I'm sure I'll replace the tie rod ends too, so really all I need is drag link, idler arm and pitman arm, correct?

Rear Suspension: rearend, springs, brake lines and hoses, brakes. Here again, I'll buy new springs and brake lines/hoses, so really all I need are the brakes (which I'll rebuild) and the rearend.

Engine: radiator and hoses, engine mounts, headers, fan and spacer, accessory mounting brackets, wiring harnesses, accelerator linkage, fuel line. I'll go new on all hoses and the rubber part of the motor mounts.

Transmission: cooling lines, crossmember (?), driveshaft, wheels and tires

Am I forgetting anything???????

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OK, Bought my parts car, what do I need?