Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Basic Question here... Car is stalling on me.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 04:01 PM
ldollar
I ♥ Acer

Default Basic Question here... Car is stalling on me.

Hey all,
My 68 is having some issues. Here is the story:

Yesterday I was working on the car for several hours in the afternoon. I was working on some electrical issues that I have been having (and am still having!) ... I had the ignition on but not the engine for a long time. Anyhow, a few hours passed and eventually I took the car out. I drove her for about 5-10 minutes before parking her and starting to mess with the electrical again (dont ask why, its a long story...)
SO then I go to start her up again, and she wont turn over. To make a long story short, I got her jumped and running again. This morning she starts up fine. But she is stalling out when idling at a red light unless I rev it a bit. I had the battery checked and it they said it was 438/400 or somthing like that and it is fine. They checked the alternator and that was normal also.

So do I need to adjust my carb or my idle somehow? I have not done this before so I dont really know where to start. Thanks all.

By the way, I want to send a special shout out to JMD who sent me a Barry Grant carb manual and DVD out of his own pocket. Now that is class, above and beyond. I just received it today, boss. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-24-2007, 04:32 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Basic Question here... Car is stalling on me.

What starter are you running? It may just be a weak starter, and if it's the stock old school starter they suck, get hot and don't like to turn over. If the starter is good then it could be carburetion for the starting issues. As far as the stalling at a light, that is prolly carburetion, or ignition timing
Old 09-24-2007, 04:46 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

if its stalling its a fuel or spark problem. you need to adjust your idle srew on the carb also if you dont have a carb spacer get one.if you havent replaced the fuel filter on it do it.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:51 PM
ldollar
I ♥ Acer

ive got MSD ignition and a mini starter (i think its called... maybe pro torque or something..) had the starter checked about a month ago and it was good.

can i adjust the idle screw with the engine running?
Old 09-24-2007, 04:57 PM
Jaded
2nd Gear Member

My running coupe does this from time to time. Usually it's fuel, or crud in the fuel (I live in the desert with blowing sand).

Heres a list of things that have caused it for me:

Shorted spark plug wire

Throttle linkage binding.

Clogged fuel filter

Curb idle screw moved or platform bent

Idle Fuel Mixture needed adjustment (usually this shows up in the fall and spring)

Idle Fuel Mixture is simple, I have a little screw driver with index marks on it that I use. I turn it one mark in or out and document my move.

Float stuck, or sunk. Not sure about your carb, mines an old Holley that allows you to adjust it with the top off. I also had one of the float pins walk out and drop on one side.