Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Posi, yay or nay?

Old 09-27-2007, 01:21 AM
groho
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Posi, yay or nay?

I've invested in a couple of limited slips, and found Auburn probably one of the most dependable for the money. The most critical aspect of a limited slip is the ability for the rear end to snap out from under you if your not expecting it. I've put my car sideways at 75+ MPH on a moist afternoon, when I least expected it. Best advise, you can get a rebuilt third member, with gears for about $700, or go Auburn or similar for about $1K. The two item that are most overlooked in building a nice street rod are tranny and rear. Spend the money, you'll be happy you did. BTW for drivability, 3:25 - 3:50is good for a C4, toploader,and 3:80 or higher is good for an overdrive, or T5.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:22 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

In normal driving and for straight line acceleration, the Auburn is probably a very good unit. But if you autocross or apply lots of throttle in the corners (assuming reasonably dry pavement), the cones and housing both wear out just like the clutches in the other type. Unlike a clutch-type limited slip, I don't think the Auburn is rebuildable.

Norm
Old 09-27-2007, 09:13 AM
fast65
5th Gear Member

Thanks so much for all your replies guys. I think I've decided on the Detriot Tru-trac. Now my next question is, how hard is it to install, or is this something I should have somebody else do?
Old 09-27-2007, 09:40 AM
royal68
2nd Gear Member

good idea to avoid the detroit trak-lok ... the PO put one in my 68 w/8" .... mean, noisy, annoying.... unnecessary for a street car w/ a 289
Old 09-27-2007, 09:48 AM
jspagna1
3rd Gear Member

Look on E-Bay. There is a lot on there that I'm sure will work for your application. I have the Auburn 3:55's in mine and have had them for the last 9 years. I don't drag race the car, but I am running drag radials on it & Lakewood traction bars.. Still going strong.

[/align]
Old 09-27-2007, 09:54 AM
Mustangdemon67
4th Gear Member

if your going to get posi, im going to vote against detroit. it is a good brand, dont get me wrong, but if your using the car on the streets alot, your car will hop around turns, detroit is great for a track car though.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:33 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I think there's still some confusion between Detroit Locker and Trac-Lok.

Probably more than you wanted to know can be found here.

Norm
Old 09-27-2007, 11:58 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fast65

Thanks so much for all your replies guys. I think I've decided on the Detriot Tru-trac. Now my next question is, how hard is it to install, or is this something I should have somebody else do?
Depends on how you go about it. What I'd recommend is finding a complete carrier unit, complete with gears and diff, all ready to bolt up. Then you can just unbolt your old carrier and drop the new one in. You also have to pull the axles out of the diff, so it's a good idea to replace the axle seals and alsotake the axles into a shop with a press and get the bearings replaced.

If you want to buy the gears and diff separately and use your existing carrier, you'll need to pull the carrier and take everything to a good rear end shop. Installing and setting up gears is not something you can do without the proper knowledge and tools. You get about .001" variance before you seriously mess something up.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:04 PM
Gun Jam

I would have someone install it for you. You need some special tools and there is a lot to screw up.

Best of luck ......you wont be disappointed in the true trac you wont even know its there until you need it.

I was at friends house and had parked on his dead lawn which is growing on a sandy type soil. Because his driveway was packed for his party the only exit was to back up and swing the nose about 180 degrees and then drive uphill over his sandy lawn and make a 90 degree turn to the left before you can get on the pavement.

It used to be very difficult and i would end up trenching a section of lawn and narrowly avoid getting stuck. with the true trac its not even an issue you just drive right out.

it helps a lot on the street too, both rear tires wear evenly now and you dont need to rotate them. before I had the true trac one tire would wear out twice as fast if not faster than the other. I got new rear tires at the same time i got the true trac and both have equal amounts of wear now.

-Gun

Old 09-28-2007, 02:08 PM
Mustang.
1st Gear Member

a couple of peoplehad a link on this post for a site with really cheap rear end parts, but i can't find it now can someone help me out. i think it started withthe letter"P" or something like that.