Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Posi, yay or nay?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 08:34 PM
fast65
5th Gear Member

Default Posi, yay or nay?

I'm thinking about get posi-trac for my '65 and I was just wondering what the pros and cons are. How do I benefit from it? Is it worth the money? What are some of the best brands?Also, how can I make my8 in. rear end stronger?Thanks in advance.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:11 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Posi, yay or nay?

Well, posi won't fit unless you havea GM axle.

You can go with Eaton, Detroit, Auburn, or Ford's own Trac-Lok. The pro's would be increased traction with any of these. Of course, there are times when locking the rear wheels together isn't a good idea, like ice when you're going around a corner.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:46 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

Is this a prank? You have to have a posi (trac-loc for the purists) in a classic 'Stang.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:51 PM
fast65
5th Gear Member

What would you recommend then?
Old 09-26-2007, 09:58 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

Not a Detroit unless you like hearing a ratchet sound every time you turn. I've heard great things about an Auburn.

Really I was just bustin' your chops, no harm meant. But it's a shame to have all the power going to one wheel while your tire budget goes up in smoke.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:04 PM
fast65
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TexasAxMan

Not a Detroit unless you like hearing a ratchet sound every time you turn. I've heard great things about an Auburn.

Really I was just bustin' your chops, no harm meant. But it's a shame to have all the power going to one wheel while your tire budget goes up in smoke.
No harm taken, I was just wondering what would be best. But you're right about the tire budget, it's just a waste of time to burn em' up individually.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:09 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Detroit Tru-Trac would be on top of my list... The Auburn would be next.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:10 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

If you can afford it go with the "limited slip"... There are some manufactures who claim to make an 8" third member that is nearly as strong as a 9".... I just don't remember where I saw this....
Old 09-26-2007, 10:17 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

It can be beneficial, but it's not absolutely required. I'd consider traction bars more of a requirement. Not to say it's not a good thing in many cases, just that you shouldn't feel bad if you don't want to fork the $800 or so for a complete LS install w/gears.

But if you do decide to swap, I'd recommend an Auburn or Detroit TrueTrac unit. The Auburn is a limited-slip differential with cone clutches instead of the usual plate clutches (a cone having more surface area than a plate), giving you better and smoother power transfer. The TrueTrac is a torque-sensing helical gear unit that transfers power to the tire with the most traction, all of the time. There are no clutches, and power transfer is instantaneous. It's going to be a little more finicky on slick roads, however, so keep that in mind.

Changing the diff in itself is actually strengthening the 8". The factory 2-pinion unit is the weak point in the stock rear.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:23 PM
fast65
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Starfury

It can be beneficial, but it's not absolutely required. I'd consider traction bars more of a requirement. Not to say it's not a good thing in many cases, just that you shouldn't feel bad if you don't want to fork the $800 or so for a complete LS install w/gears.

But if you do decide to swap, I'd recommend an Auburn or Detroit TrueTrac unit. The Auburn is a limited-slip differential with cone clutches instead of the usual plate clutches (a cone having more surface area than a plate), giving you better and smoother power transfer. The TrueTrac is a torque-sensing helical gear unit that transfers power to the tire with the most traction, all of the time. There are no clutches, and power transfer is instantaneous. It's going to be a little more finicky on slick roads, however, so keep that in mind.

Changing the diff in itself is actually strengthening the 8". The factory 2-pinion unit is the weak point in the stock rear.
Is it true that the Detroit will be noiser as someone above said?

Quick Reply: Posi, yay or nay?