Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Kaboom

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 02:42 PM
mySAVIOReigns
3rd Gear Member

Default Kaboom

Kaboom.

Engine is dead.

Good thing I'm getting that 200ci Saturday! Bad thing is, the car is my daily driver.

So I'm rebuilding, and putting together a parts list of things i NEED to change on the new engine - here's what I've got:

Timing set
Oil pump
all gaskets
main bearings
rod bearings
motor mounts
push rods

anyone think of anything else that needs to be changed? I'm going to have the head done. I don't even know what that means, but I've heard it can be expensive.

As far as the block goes, I don't know if it will machining (I'll figure that out on first look). Either way, how should I get all the paint and gunk off. Also, should I paint it with "engine enamel" that I see in O'Reilly's?

Thanks

Expect lots of followup
Old 09-27-2007, 03:05 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Kaboom

Bummer.....

As far as what has to be changed,,,, that will depend a lot on exactly what " Kaboom" means.....

+ the condition of the cylinders and pistons will play a large part in what needs to be done. If the block needs to be bored, you can add new pistons to the list, the crank may need to be turned (re-machined), etc.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:05 PM
superdavid
4th Gear Member

What broke? Is the block even salvageable?
Old 09-27-2007, 03:14 PM
mySAVIOReigns
3rd Gear Member

yea it probably is...but I am looking for minimum down-time. That is why I'm hoping I can use the one that will be already out. In addition, I have no room to do this, so I may have to take it to a shop or something.

Geez, this is getting expensive
Old 09-27-2007, 03:54 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

You are going to install the engine you are getting tomorow first right?

That will be the fastest by far.... When I was younger I was always trying to swap out engines in one day,,, did a 350 in a chevy van in about 7 hours once, 1st bolt to completed test drive... (outside even).

You can swap that engine in about a day or sowith a hoist (rental?) and a reasonable set of hand tools.

I-6 in a Mustang = Easy to work on..... fast change...
Old 09-27-2007, 04:34 PM
mySAVIOReigns
3rd Gear Member

yea, that's the goal - 1 day job (theoretically, haha).

Only thing I am worried about is getting it in there, and it doesn't work.

While I'm at it, maybe I'll tell you guys what happened:

For the last 2 weeks, she's been real hard to start in the morning, but once she's going, she goes well. I'll drive her, but then randomly, occasionally she'll just die. Sometimes at redlights, sometimes when slowing down after coasting. Well I was on the way home from the mustang store here, and pulled up to a red light and it died. Oh well, I thought. I’ll just re-start it and it will be fine. So I hit the key, and it was REEALLY hard to start. It started for a second, then died as a HUGE plume of white smoke shot from under the hood. Crap. So I try again, and again, and finally got it going, just barely enough to hit the gas, as it died, and it coasted into a parking lot. I get out, and there’s smoke coming out of the carb. White smoke. I don’t have a sense of smell, (I know, very weird), so I couldn’t tell you what it was. Everything looked okay, so I checked the oil and tranny fluid. Both registered on the dipstick to the Full position. Here’s the weird part. I don’t think they should[/i] be full. The car burns oil, I know. So why would it say full? I wiped it off, checked again, same thing. I said screw it, and put a quart in. As I did, and checked the dipstick again, it showed a much thicker “blob†on the tip of the stick. I think, just a guess, that it had no oil, but something was making it show a film of oil on the stick. Stupid car… So I put a couple more quarts, and put a quart of tranny fluid, and it drove home. It wasn’t a pleasant drive home (about 2 miles) but she made it w/o dying. [/i]

I've been told everything from bent push rods to head gasket to valves to cracks to oil to ignition. No idea.[:@]
[/i]