Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

LED lights?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 09:40 PM
waldo786
2nd Gear Member

Default LED lights?

Can anyone explain to me what the advantages are of upgrading to LED lights? How fast do they burn out, etc? Is it worth it? Thanks!
Old 09-26-2007, 09:44 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Default RE: LED lights?

they last along time are 5 times brighter run cooler and take less power to run depends on you if it worth it i like the idea since clasic mustangs have fairly dim tailights in my experience i bought some from www.mustangproject.com
Old 09-26-2007, 11:45 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

mine are from mustangproject too they work great and brite as hell rmodel is right they last longer run cooler and look better.if you get them from mustangproject remember to hook up a ground to them.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:11 AM
ldollar
I ♥ Acer

mustangproject.com was my source also. i have the sequential taillights on the rear of my 68 coupe. They are FAR brighter than the original incandescent lightbulb, which I feel is dengerously dim. Especially since I have to drive on busy streets and freeways often. They greatly increase your visibility on the road.

From what I understand, the LEDs do not burn out. I bought mine from mustangproject.com on eBay and it was cheaper than directly through their website. I have nothing but praise for them as they were able to walk me through my technical difficulties when I installed them. (It was user error, the lights work great now!) love em.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:29 AM
groho
4th Gear Member

my question, what is the dif between the LED circuit boards, and the LED bulbs you can pick up for $20 apiece? http://www.superbrightleds.com/tail-brake-turn.html
Old 09-27-2007, 07:48 AM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

I have been looking into this also, but had to finish other stuff first.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:21 AM
ldollar
I ♥ Acer

I have not used those LED single bulbs before but I suppose they would be better than the stock bulb... and cheaper than the LED circuit boards.

The advantage of the LED boards like from the mustang project is just appearance, I suppose. There are three separate sections of LEDs so (in my case, I have the standard 3-lens 1968 tail lights) ......so each lens has its own group of lights and it just looks really good.

The other benefit I see is the sequential feature that makes your car stand out just a little more. It looks pretty slick. Better than the "demo" flash players on their website. If you are on a tight budget, or dont want sequential, I would try the cheap single bulb LEDs like the ones you linked to. If you have the money in your budget, I would give some serious thought to upgrading to the circuit board style of LEDs.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:57 PM
kaiser18
1st Gear Member

LED lights are something I have been wanting to install for awhile but I know nothing about electrical work. How hard is it to conver to LED? I would imagine you replacing alot of your wiring right?
Old 09-27-2007, 01:43 PM
ldollar
I ♥ Acer

From what I have heard, some LED tail light kits DO require some wiring mods. However, the kit from Mustang Project is very simple. You will need to locate the turn signal flasher and replace it with the restricting flasher that is included in your kit. This is because the LEDs require less electricity than your stock incandescent light bulbs. This is very easy. Then you will have to remove your light bezels, buckets, lenses etc and the old bulb. The new LED electric panel will mount right into the original light bulb housing. On one of mine, the housing was aftermarket, replaced along the line somewhere. So I had to improvise with a rubber grommet to lift the housing out into the bowl a little further to give the LED circuit board the clearance it required. Reassemble the lights and that should be all you need to do.

Here is a link to the LEDs I have in my 68:
http://www.mustangproject.com/Produc...2-d2d888c43af7

Or save $40 and order it through their ebay store:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967-...spagenameZWDVW

More info:
http://www.mustangproject.com/
Old 09-27-2007, 03:05 PM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

The replacement bulbs (1157) are a joke. As stated in this thread, the old tail lights are very dim as compared to todays cars. I would opt for a panel replacement.

Quick Reply: LED lights?