Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Hank: a victim of hit and run

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 11:00 AM
ldollar
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Hank: a victim of hit and run

Whatever car hit it was low enough to get that lower part of the panel so it is most likely a smaller car. If it was a truck or a jeep or somethin it would have done damage up higher on the quarter panel also. And the black smudges look like they came from black rubber so that suggests to me that it is not another classic. I would think about where you parked and decide what would be the most likely scenario...
Would a car have been most likely to back into the car?
Or more likely to have clipped you with the front right of their car?
I can almost guarantee it was one of your fellow classmates if it was in a school parking lot.
Once you figure out what is the most likely place a car would have hit you with their car, start looking for cars with damage. I think that it was probably a grey or beige car but look really hard for paint chips on your Mustang. If you can figure out what color the car was, an ID would be much easier. Its hard to tell which direction your car was hit from because it could have gotten hung up on your car going either way (backing into it, or pulling around it) ...and then when they pulled off the car, did more damage like tearing off the back up light.

If I had to guess, I think someone was parallel parked behind you or horizontally parked and tried to pull around you and clipped onto you. But they hit you hard enough to get stopped by your car (which suggests to me that it was a lighter weight, possibly import....meaning they have body damage).
The only black sheep would be if it was a big 70s or 80s olds or caddy or buick...something heavy, bulletproof and doesnt show damage easily. But if it was this sort of car, it probably would have done even more damage.
Anyways, I think they backed up off your car and pulled off your back up light and in the process, did more damage to their paint and your bumper. (I think the dents down low and the scuffs on the bumper might be your best clues to the color of the car.)

Time is of the essence in finding out who did it. I hope you can figure it out.

For what it is worth, I have been a victim of hit and run several times. Most of the time it was not too bad and where I live, people truly believe that bumpers are for just that. Bumping. So they dont think anything of it. But what you have there is pretty bad. It could always be worse. My 68 was clipped by a city bus a few weeks ago and I only know it was them because I was lucky enough to have a witness. But the bus never stopped and the driver claimed she didnt know she hit me. whatever.
Good luck with this and keep us posted. If you havent already, a police report is not a bad idea. If you do find out who did this, you want to make sure they get f@cked for being such an inconsiderate *******.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:15 AM
NYstang
MF Staff Snitch

ORIGINAL: ldollar

Whatever car hit it was low enough to get that lower part of the panel so it is most likely a smaller car. If it was a truck or a jeep or somethin it would have done damage up higher on the quarter panel also. And the black smudges look like they came from black rubber so that suggests to me that it is not another classic. I would think about where you parked and decide what would be the most likely scenario...
Would a car have been most likely to back into the car?
Or more likely to have clipped you with the front right of their car?
I can almost guarantee it was one of your fellow classmates if it was in a school parking lot.
Once you figure out what is the most likely place a car would have hit you with their car, start looking for cars with damage. I think that it was probably a grey or beige car but look really hard for paint chips on your Mustang. If you can figure out what color the car was, an ID would be much easier. Its hard to tell which direction your car was hit from because it could have gotten hung up on your car going either way (backing into it, or pulling around it) ...and then when they pulled off the car, did more damage like tearing off the back up light.

If I had to guess, I think someone was parallel parked behind you or horizontally parked and tried to pull around you and clipped onto you. But they hit you hard enough to get stopped by your car (which suggests to me that it was a lighter weight, possibly import....meaning they have body damage).
The only black sheep would be if it was a big 70s or 80s olds or caddy or buick...something heavy, bulletproof and doesnt show damage easily. But if it was this sort of car, it probably would have done even more damage.
Anyways, I think they backed up off your car and pulled off your back up light and in the process, did more damage to their paint and your bumper. (I think the dents down low and the scuffs on the bumper might be your best clues to the color of the car.)

Time is of the essence in finding out who did it. I hope you can figure it out.

For what it is worth, I have been a victim of hit and run several times. Most of the time it was not too bad and where I live, people truly believe that bumpers are for just that. Bumping. So they dont think anything of it. But what you have there is pretty bad. It could always be worse. My 68 was clipped by a city bus a few weeks ago and I only know it was them because I was lucky enough to have a witness. But the bus never stopped and the driver claimed she didnt know she hit me. whatever.
Good luck with this and keep us posted. If you havent already, a police report is not a bad idea. If you do find out who did this, you want to make sure they get f@cked for being such an inconsiderate *******.
this guys right on the money. and liek my77 said, get word around that theres a decent size reward out for turning in the bastard that hit you.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:26 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

You might be looking for a pick-up truck with a receiver hitch.....
Old 10-06-2007, 11:55 AM
Does Not Exist
4th Gear Member

Castration or a **** punt...only solutions.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:58 AM
gothand
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: superdavid

If you need help beating the crap outa someone, give me a holler! Skip school Monday and look for cars with fresh damage that are wearing white paint.
I find this post a bit ironic considering that I thought you went to abible or religiouscollege, right? [sm=sigh.gif]

Emp, the same thing happened to me on my old '65 GT. Although it seems like an easy spot to fix, make certain to go to a good shop. Getting that contour right is a bit trickier than you'd think. I know it sucks, but in the scheme of things this is like a flea on a dogs ***. Not everybody it honest, which sucks. Good luck with the fix! Jeff
Old 10-06-2007, 11:58 AM
JamesW

First off James, ignor all this talk about whupin' someone's ***. You know that's not an approach.

Since it was at an evening football game, the odds of it being a classmate went down considerably. It could be anyone in town, out of town..... so it would just be random luck to find the car at school.

If you haven't already, report it to the school police officer and follow their instructions. Will you get much assistance... I seriously doubt it.

It's just another ****-happens in life. These are just possesions...it not like someone hit and ran over you....
Old 10-06-2007, 12:23 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

That's what insurance is for, and at least the damage is all cosmetic. And yeah, don't go trying to find out who it was and beat them up. If you do you could go to prison for aggrivated battery, in which case the guy who hit you will pay a minor amount to repair your car, while you spend several years in prison having to worry about more "rear end collisions"
Old 10-06-2007, 12:47 PM
ldollar
I ♥ Acer

That's what insurance is for, and at least the damage is all cosmetic. And yeah, don't go trying to find out who it was and beat them up. If you do you could go to prison for aggrivated battery, in which case the guy who hit you will pay a minor amount to repair your car, while you spend several years in prison having to worry about more "rear end collisions"
+10 (Not fun and Hank will probably be sold.)

The violent solution, though tempting, is not the answer. I overlooked the fact that you mentioned it was at an evening football game. Yeah, that does leave a huge pool of potential cars. I guess I would probably start looking into some estimates and making a claim with your insurance. gothand and james have good advice. just remember that most of us have had similar things happen, some much worse. It could always be worse, much worse.

Old 10-06-2007, 01:30 PM
Clu7ch
5th Gear Member

As low as that is, I would be looking for a "tuner" car that has had half the coil cut out and gets stuck on speed bumps or a lowered truck with a trailer hitch receiver.

Good luck. string 'em up by the nuts.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:34 PM
Arcticspook
2nd Gear Member

Sorry to hear that.

Don't get physical with the guy/girl if you find out who it is. Simply report them to the Police. It will be a lot more fun watching them get hemmed up and carted off. If you go beating on them, you may end up in the same cell. Remember, there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Quick Reply: Hank: a victim of hit and run