Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

stroked 351w or 460?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 08:57 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Default RE: stroked 351w or 460?

IDK I have become a huge fan of the 351 strokers... Light, powerful, and relatively cheap..
Old 10-07-2007, 12:34 PM
easttennmotors
2nd Gear Member

i prefer using a straight 351 over a stroker, so many premature wear issues to cylinder walls, pistons,piston ringscaused by rod angle which is compensated by short pistons with the pin almost in the oil rings butt which I have seen many a stroker have consumption problems as a result of this, sure you get more cubes and piston dwell, but I have always just used longer rods, a near stock stroke and usually use a solid roller camshaft, good oiling system, i get my heads custom cnc ported and chambered and hand port the intakes. the main thing is that youcan make the same power with 351 cubic inches that most people make with strokers its all in how the engine is worked and built.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:34 PM
superdavid
4th Gear Member

I ♥ 408 Windsors...

In fact... I'm pretty sure I love this motor more than I've ever loved any girl.... heck, this motor has lasted longer than any girl...
Old 10-07-2007, 05:35 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: easttennmotors

i prefer using a straight 351 over a stroker, so many premature wear issues to cylinder walls, pistons,piston ringscaused by rod angle which is compensated by short pistons with the pin almost in the oil rings butt which I have seen many a stroker have consumption problems as a result of this, sure you get more cubes and piston dwell, but I have always just used longer rods, a near stock stroke and usually use a solid roller camshaft, good oiling system, i get my heads custom cnc ported and chambered and hand port the intakes. the main thing is that youcan make the same power with 351 cubic inches that most people make with strokers its all in how the engine is worked and built.

You and me both I like longer rods in a stock displacement setup, better dwell, less mean piston velocity at the top of the stroke, less side loading of thepiston skirtsand the shorter piston you use cuts down on reciprocating weight. I'm running a 5.7" rod in my 302, with Mahle pistons, but they're the ones with the pin bore going through the oil ring land. This is fine as long as the pistons are good quality, Mahle(and theirs ain't cheap!) uses a slightly wider oil ring land and you put a heavy steel ring in first to act as a rigid bottom to the ring land, that way the oil control ring acts just as if it were a conventional piston. I don't have any oil control problems, and neither does anyone else using the Mahles with the same oil ring setup(that I know of), but some manufacturers that use a smiliar design aren't so great. I prefer hydraulic rollers myself though, but I may go with a solid at some point and just deal with the extra noise(not like it's that quiet now) and the periodic valve lash checking/adjustment. It's easy to make good power with a stroker though, but I think that just takes all the fun out of it
Old 10-07-2007, 06:18 PM
easttennmotors
2nd Gear Member

I build alot of circle track and road race oriented engines so im used to making power with stock cubes. Mahle is close to me here in tennessee and I love their stuff but they are always short on pistons for the yates/svo heads and I have found CP pistons to be a very good company. I use Total Seal rings which are also great. I prefer solid camshafts just because I believe you have greater workability in your valve train with a solid cam/lifter setup but thats just me I know some people feel the opposite.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:54 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

For race I'd definately use solid, but for street I like the low maintenence of hydraulic. And yeah, Total Seal does make great stuff, they've been around longer than most too, haven't they?
Old 10-07-2007, 10:20 PM
easttennmotors
2nd Gear Member

I dont know just something about hydraulic lifters ive never quite trusted which is probably irrational but solid roller or flat is working and so ive just stuck with that,I dont know about total seal but I dobelieve they are mentioned in the smokey yunick power secrets book from 1987 so they are also pretty decent. I know a guy at crane cams so I get pretty good deals from them and solid rollers work awesome on the street imo most of the race engines are just flat tappet cams For budget builds I am also high on speed pro powerforged pistons and rings, they are pretty well made and really hold up to abuse really good and at about 30 bucks per piston you cant beat that for forged

Old 10-08-2007, 04:50 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Depends on the miles you run if hydraulics are really more maintenance. For a DD, definitely hydraulic, but for a weekend toy, the difference is more preference. Your not likely to wear the components nearly enough to warrant frequent, if any, adjustement of the solid lifter. I know for sure than my next 'toy' engine will be solid lifters. Hydraulics don't like the occasional use that's common with toys.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:26 PM
jspagna1
3rd Gear Member

Stroked 351w. I would go with a 408 all day long. Makes a ton of power without all the weight. Small blocks spank big blocks at the drags all day long.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:39 PM
69stang390
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jspagna1

Stroked 351w. I would go with a 408 all day long. Makes a ton of power without all the weight. Small blocks spank big blocks at the drags all day long.
I dont know what strips you go to, or where your hearing this, but a well built 460 will spank, and i mean straight up BITCH-SLAP a 351w at the strip on any given day..... that almost made me laugh.

Depends on your budget and what your looking for "Mustang."

Quick Reply: stroked 351w or 460?