Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

3 point seatbelt installation help

Old 10-07-2007, 10:50 AM
snorulz
2nd Gear Member

Default 3 point seatbelt installation help

I purchased 3 point seat belts from cjponyparts and was just trying to install the drivers side today. I have a 69 coupe. I felt around in the head liner and located a mount. I then went online and found pictures of the mount location for a 68(only pics. i could find). It showed the mount to be in the exact same spot as where i could feel the mount in my 69. I poked a hole in the headliner and tried to insert the bolt. Well, it turns out the bolt is to big. I did some more searching but this location is the only place i could find. The mount location i found is slightly to the back of the coat hanger and slightly lower than the coat hanger. Did i find the wrong mount or do i have the wrong bolt? The belts i have are from retrobeltusa.com.
thanks
Old 10-07-2007, 12:28 PM
ldollar
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: 3 point seatbelt installation help

hey there,
i recently added 3 point belts to my 68 coupe. they were not the same belts that you got but probably a similar idea. I then ran into the same problem as you and had to go to my local hardware store and make a "makeshift" bolt since they do not carry the seatbelt type bolts with the extra lip that your kit probably came with. Basically I found the smaller size bolt, as strong as I could get. It was about the same length as the original bolt. Then I found a small piece that is like a "sleeve" with grooves on both the inside and the outside, about 1/2" long that screwed onto the bolts, effectively giving them a lip like the original seat belt bolts. You might be able to fabricate something or find something else to slide over the bolt to stop it from screwing in too far and give it something to tighten up to. Then I just installed those into the screw holes with the belts and it worked perfectly.

The seatbelts sit a little far back so they are sort of a hassle to reach back to grab them but I ordered a seat belt guide that mounts into smaller holes a little closer up. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=180164179567 Not sure if this link will work since I am logged in but you could look it up by the item number I think...

It might be too difficult to install these with a headliner, I dont know. I do not have a headliner right now. If your seats are original, they may have a place for a guide for the belt already or you may be able to install something to help. Good luck. Hope this helps.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:34 PM
connor90
4th Gear Member

when i put seat belts in my 65 i hit the same problem you did...it was only a little bit too small so i was able to drill it and make it a tiny bit bigger and that did the trick. good luck
Old 10-07-2007, 12:42 PM
ldollar
I ♥ Acer

Before you go drilling, be sure you check to see if a smaller bolt will screw right in. I have a feeling the 65 is just sheet metal (3 point seat belts were not an option then, were they?) and the 69 probably has a mount in place already. So assuming you have a headliner in there, you wouldnt want to tear it out trying to add a new mounting point.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:56 PM
connor90
4th Gear Member

yeah...mine was just sheet metal and it was about 1/16" too small so i barely had to drill it to make it work
Old 10-07-2007, 01:13 PM
snorulz
2nd Gear Member

thanks for the help. I am glad to know i am not the only one with this problem. The kit came with a bunch of bolts incase i had to do the convertable install. I found a bolt in it that fits perfectly in the hole but like you said, it doesn't have a collar. I had wondered about drilling and tapping since it is a real mount but wasn't sure if that would weaken it. For $220 i don't think i should have to go to the hardware store for parts. I will give the company a call on monday. Sounds like i have the correct mounting location though.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:20 PM
ldollar
I ♥ Acer

For $220 i don't think i should have to go to the hardware store for parts. I will give the company a call on monday. Sounds like i have the correct mounting location though.
Yeah I felt the same way. Mine were a little less, about $170 from seatbeltpros.com But I wanted my belts in so I wasnt about to wait for them to send me a new bolt. I think the parts cost an extra $7 at the HW store. It was annoying since I had paid an extra $10 or so for the install hardware kit but in their defense, it is hard to make a kit that will work for every car.
But in your defense, you ordered from CJ so they specialize in our cars and should at least attempt to supply to correct hardware for your model year.
Good luck with this one.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:27 PM
snorulz
2nd Gear Member

thanks, According to the manual they sent with them, in 68-73 you will use the factory mounting locations. I don't get how they expect me to do that with the wrong bolt. I am curious to hear what they will say. I can wait since i didn't remove the old seatbelts yet, i thought i would start with the third point first incase i ran into an issue. Where do the strap holders you posted from ebay mount in the cars?
Old 10-08-2007, 01:18 PM
snorulz
2nd Gear Member

cjponyparts said it is a universal kit and i will have to cobble a bolt together to make it work with the existing mount. This is bs since the manual says to use the existing mounts if you have a 68-73 mustang. I really wouldn't care if in the manual it said you had to make your own bolt. Its really annoying that they leave it up to you to figure it out. Well, it looks like i need to make a trip to the hardware store.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:34 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: connor90

yeah...mine was just sheet metal and it was about 1/16" too small so i barely had to drill it to make it work
Do you have your upper mount bolt threaded into the sheet metal only? [sm=jawdrop.gif]That thing will likely rip out in a collision. Those of us with the 65/66 upper mounted belts have installed a threaded backing plate, captured in the body above the door.

Jeff