Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Coil over shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 09:21 AM
CrashBob
1st Gear Member

Default Coil over shocks?

Hey y'all,[/align]My '65 coupe sits just about an inch lower in the rear end and I was wondering if coil over shocks would be a way to go as opposed to buying new springs. The current springs ride fine and don't bottom out with a full gastank or rear seat passengers so I am loathe tofix something (replace springs)that I don't think is broken. [/align]I could be way wrong here and that's why I'm asking the opinion of you who do know.[/align]Or...................should I lower the front an inch??? [/align]Decisions, decisions.............................[sm=teetertooter.gif][/align][/align]CrashBob, wannabe mechanic[/align]
Old 10-08-2007, 10:20 AM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Coil over shocks?

The rear sat lower from the factory. You have 2 choices, raise the rear or lower the front. If it were me, I'd lower the front.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:24 AM
68EFIvert
3rd Gear Member

The stock mounting point is not designed to carry the load of the car, or even part of the load. You can't use coilovers with leaf springs. You will have to lower the front or buy new springs for the rear.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:48 PM
CrashBob
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TexasAxMan

The rear sat lower from the factory. You have 2 choices, raise the rear or lower the front. If it were me, I'd lower the front.
[/align][/align]Why did they do that? IMO, that looks like chit! Like you, I am leaning towards dropping the front.[/align][/align]Thanks for the input![/align][/align]CrashBob[/align]
Old 10-08-2007, 01:10 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrashBob

ORIGINAL: TexasAxMan

[/align][/align]Why did they do that? IMO, that looks like chit! Like you, I am leaning towards dropping the front.[/align][/align]Thanks for the input![/align][/align]CrashBob[/align]
Style of the day. Plus when you put two people in the front of a stock mustang...it sits level (or slightly down raked)
Old 10-08-2007, 02:35 PM
CrashBob
1st Gear Member

Best place to buy lowering front coils?[/align][/align]CrashBob[/align]
Old 10-08-2007, 04:56 PM
easttennmotors
2nd Gear Member

its better to cut down your coils and do a control arm drop, lowering springs have a tendency to sag quite easily.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:43 PM
CrashBob
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: easttennmotors

its better to cut down your coils and do a control arm drop, lowering springs have a tendency to sag quite easily.
How much coil would I need to cut to get a 1" drop. Also, I'm inexperienced when it comes to suspension. Would you please explain a control arm drop?

CrashBob, wannabe mechanic
Old 10-08-2007, 10:33 PM
plainsman1876
2nd Gear Member

I love the fact that my 65 2+2 sits lower in the back and higher in the front looks awesome to me , after living through the 70' and everybody jacked up the rear ends looks like crap leave it alone
Old 10-08-2007, 11:55 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

only coilovers id use is http://www.globalwest.net/1964-66%20...over%20kit.htm id you want to keep it oem design but handle better http://www.opentrackerracingproducts.com/products/ also monte carlo bar and export brace help alot and are cheap.

Quick Reply: Coil over shocks?