Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

please read i need your help

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 12:39 AM
69stang390
1st Gear Member

Default RE: please read i need your help

So you want torque and an engine that sounds like it will devour anything within 20 ft? You need a 390 my friend.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:55 AM
mat11089
3rd Gear Member

NO one ever says "oh you only have a 302" cuz everyone knows how potent 302/5.0 can be.And im assuming youre a younger kid(if im wrong i appologize) so im guessin youll be getting a minimum wage job so are you fulling aware of the cost of those things and the more gas and insurance stuff? Just keep in mind oyu want to drive it at some point soon.Mild isnt so bad remember that.Just a nicely built 302 mild cam,nice intake,right compression choice and youll hit300 outa that motor easy.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:50 AM
Mustang.
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 69stang390

So you want torque and an engine that sounds like it will devour anything within 20 ft? You need a 390 my friend.
what do you thinkabout a 460.........
Old 10-11-2007, 09:28 AM
iamdiffrnt
2nd Gear Member

Like everyone else said, a 302 will be plenty for your purposes. Since your engine only has 1000 miles on it and you don't seem to have any problem's with it, I'd probably leave the bottom end alone, maybe do a cam swap (with new lifters and appropriate valve springs), 4 bbl intake and carb (600 cfm should be plenty) dual exhaust, and probably headers. With more info on your 302, you will get better, andmore specific info (the people here are great ). Also it would be helpful to have more info on the rest of your driveline (what trans, if auto: stock convertor? Shift kit? Axle ratio, limited slip?). As this is your first car, you will want to get the most bang for your buck, and still keep it reliable.

Good luck with your stang!

Edit: Doh, forgot about the earlier post, sounds like a Manual trans, What axle/ratio do you have in the car now?
Old 10-11-2007, 10:17 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Like has been said, build the 302.

Put a hot cam in with Rhodes lifters, then you can have a daily drivable car that will still be a screamer.

Leave the bottom alone since it has a very recent overhaul, the stock short block is sufficient for some good HP numbers.

Think about some good aftermarket heads, roller lifters, etc.if your budget allows.

The 302 can bea BAMF.... Be thrifty, make your $$ go as far as you can. Even the 302 won't be cheap....

The drivetrain mods you are thinking about will cost you $5,000+ if you go new: Trans, clutch, bell housing, clutch release, driveline, rear axle, brakes, etc.

To build (yourself) a good 408 figure $4,000 to $7,000, cut these figures in half or even a third for the 302 that you already have.

If later you find that the 302 you build is not enough, take it out and rework it, or build another engine. It only takes a day or so to remove and replace an engine in these early Mustangs.... Just because you go with a 302 that is a little more mild than you might like now, does not mean that it has to stay there.

Get the car running and on it's wheels as fast as you can. Take my word for it, a non-running project car will steal away your motivation to get it done.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:23 AM
ldollar
I ♥ Acer

I have complete respect for the 302. The engine is one of the best that Ford ever built.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:20 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

I think Ford was retarded in switching from the pushrod 5.0 to the 4.6 OHC as the primary powerplant in their cars. It took over a decade of use in vehicles before the 4.6L(what we see in the new Mustangs with the variable cam timing 3V) finally was able to surpass the 5.0 in terms of power output, but I don't see the cost as being worth it. With better R&D they could have made the pushrod 5.0 a much more powerful engine for less money. That's what GM did and look where they are now with the LS series?
Old 10-11-2007, 02:13 PM
Mustang.
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JMD

Like has been said, build the 302.

Put a hot cam in with Rhodes lifters, then you can have a daily drivable car that will still be a screamer.

Leave the bottom alone since it has a very recent overhaul, the stock short block is sufficient for some good HP numbers.

Think about some good aftermarket heads, roller lifters, etc.if your budget allows.

The 302 can bea BAMF.... Be thrifty, make your $$ go as far as you can. Even the 302 won't be cheap....

The drivetrain mods you are thinking about will cost you $5,000+ if you go new: Trans, clutch, bell housing, clutch release, driveline, rear axle, brakes, etc.

To build (yourself) a good 408 figure $4,000 to $7,000, cut these figures in half or even a third for the 302 that you already have.

If later you find that the 302 you build is not enough, take it out and rework it, or build another engine. It only takes a day or so to remove and replace an engine in these early Mustangs.... Just because you go with a 302 that is a little more mild than you might like now, does not mean that it has to stay there.

Get the car running and on it's wheels as fast as you can. Take my word for it, a non-running project car will steal away your motivation to get it done.
i plan on probably getting a junkyard wc t-5 and rebuilding it. then getting a 9" rear with posi from perogie for i think like $500 or $600. and then i don't know what suspension upgrades yet. so ya thanks for all the help i am going to go with my 302.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:33 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

I don't think you're going to get a 9" with posi from anyone for $500-600, unless you steal it. Perogie's bear housings are that much, then you need axles and the center chunk.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:32 PM
Mustang.
1st Gear Member

yah i know. sorry for that i wasn't very clear but i know that it was for the bear i just wanted to tell ppl where i was going to get it from.

Quick Reply: please read i need your help