Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1968 Fastback Custom

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 08:55 AM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 1968 Fastback Custom

First, busch, thanks for your service!

Second, I don't think $55k is going to get you there. The aerodynamics of a classic Mustang won't allow 180 without significant body mods and mammoth HP.

Last, I hate that our soldiers return and spend all the money they got on something as frivilous as a classic car. I don't know how old you are, but wouldn't investing in a house or education be a better idea? I'm not trying to talk down to you, but I think you should really think this through.

OK, off my soapbox now.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:22 AM
remicks
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TexasAxMan

Second, I don't think $55k is going to get you there. The aerodynamics of a classic Mustang won't allow 180 without significant body mods and mammoth HP.

Last, I hate that our soldiers return and spend all the money they got on something as frivilous as a classic car. I don't know how old you are, but wouldn't investing in a house or education be a better idea? I'm not trying to talk down to you, but I think you should really think this through.

OK, off my soapbox now.
You are right TexasAxMan. When I came back from the desert I had a fair amount lying around, not because they pay you alot more while you are over there, I got $3.50 extra a day and an extra $500 a month for safe pay and hostile fire pay, but you obviously don't have much to spend your money on over there. I did use some of my money to buy myself a classic mustang, but certainly not 55K, I got my 67 for 4K and it drives fine with some things to fix. I will be putting money into over time to make it capable of being a fast DD certainly no 180mph racer, thats slightly unrealistic. I'm using the rest to be put toward finishing my degree, far more valuable than a car. I don't know if you are an officer and have finished school busch but if you have think about investments that can turn your 55K into alot more, retirement, family and a house. I know I would like to have those things taken care of before I make a 55K car.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:23 PM
busch

ORIGINAL: TexasAxMan

OK, off my soapbox now.
Well im 24 years old, that was my last tour, and my 3rd one at that. Im divorced / single soldier. I have a computer science degree (but i much prefer manual labor, i just find working with my hands much more amusing.) I plan on using my GI Bill to goto ATI in san diego which will well cover my monthly expenses as well as the classes so really i just want to build cars. Ive worked on numerous cars myself, mostly body work but a little engine as well. I build an 87 supra, and replaced the 7mge engine with a 2jztte engine (which required alot of modification) and learned with ease. More or less the reason (and the 180mph is not a set guideline for this car, its just a nice though) for building a classic mustang is im very much into pro-street / road racing and i usually use the supra or my 68 coupe, but the 68 doesnt push the power im really needing.
I understand the mustang is built like a boat, and more or less drives like one, but ive found the more i play with things the more i can make them work better =) on another note, im looking at the ford racing 302 boss aluminum blocks over the 427 FE but nobody will tell me why the boss isnt a street friendly engine. Let me just put it this way, i want to be able to beat a corvet or keep up with rice burners. If you have a better way i can go with this mustang please tell.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:45 PM
remicks
4th Gear Member

Wow I wish I had your bills where the GI bill pays for everything, but I figure you have a little saved also so you can build a car like that. Where did you go to while you were in the desert? On my last trip I got to travel pretty much everywhere because I was part of a flight crew on a C-17 and worked for the 4 star in charge over there, Adm. Fallon. The most depressing place I had to stay while over there was at Bagram AB, it was just downright depressing, I don't know any other way to describe it.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:01 PM
busch

Mostly in southwest Baghdad, Al Jihad, Furat, Amul and Saddiya.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:16 PM
Galactusz
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: busch

Well i just returned from Iraq so i have about 55k to spend =)

The reason for the 302 BOSS over the 427 was asking about technicalitys such as, why is the 302 BOSS not a good street engine? the 427 is a big block right? pushing alot of weight in a little car, throwing the weight balance off heavily (working on that 51/49 pretty sure i can make it work). and the Aerodynamics, ive gotten my 68 coupe up to 140 and it does feel like its floating but is there really anything we can do about it? ie: bodykit, sandbags, anchor...?
You served?

Kudos to you my friend, much appreciated.

You say you have 55k to spend?

Man, put all that dough into a long term IRA, you'll have well over a million by the time you retire.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:48 PM
remicks
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: busch

Mostly in southwest Baghdad, Al Jihad, Furat, Amul and Saddiya.
In Iraq I mostly went to Baghdad, Mosul, Al Asad, Irbel. One trip when we were landing in Baghdad we almost crashed into the Predator because it was transmitting its position. At the last second it showed up on the pilots radar as a missile which created a nice surprise and sudden maneuvering, thank god I just buckled up.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:20 PM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

First off, welcome home.. The Boss 302 is a great motor. Unlike the bigblocks, it is a featherweight and you can really spin them. The balance of the car is great. As far as the speed, the aero on the classics is very poor. Given some mods in the nose and rear, these can be improved some. I often spin my Boss 302 up to 8k without it falling apart. I would hate to even attempt that in one ofmy Cobra Jets. So far my top speed has been better than 150 on a Speedway, and it was floating on air. Anyway, something to think about, why not a small block with a Turbo? I do like steel blocks over aluminum though.To me, its notworth the weight savings for the money and strenth.