Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

#'s matching

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 02:50 PM
andrew340
1st Gear Member

Default #'s matching

i'm a little confused on the numbers matching game. i read some previous posts saying that there are no numbers on the engine before 68. I've got numbers on my engine that are C5OE-9425B, which i looked up and said it's for a 66' fairlane because of the o, mustang's have z. i've got a 65' 289 2 barrel, is this not the original engine or could they have swapped it out at the factory, or are these numbers not important?
Old 10-12-2007, 03:17 PM
jlg2002
4th Gear Member

Default RE: #'s matching

AFAIK, the early engines were corporate and none had "z" in them for mustangs. I beileve there's a link in the FAQ section of the forum that you can verfiy this fact.
Here's the link to that page:
http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod/engine2.html
Old 10-12-2007, 03:35 PM
andrew340
1st Gear Member

yeah i saw that page, there's another one in the faq though saying the third letter designates what vehicle the car is in. i dunno
Old 10-12-2007, 04:08 PM
DonA

A little clarifacion--First Ford engines at least thru 1977 used an engine tag with was stamped metal about 1/2 inch x 1 1/2 inch and mounted under the coil bracket. This gave all pertanent info about the engie including a number which indicated it's intended application.
Second - Ford has two numbering systems. The numbers which you find stamped into or cast into components are engineering numbers--These are the numbers created when the part is designed or redesigned and which engineering and parts vendors use.
They will not translate into a dealer's part number since the Parts division creates them into a sales number. They might for example decide that Carburators which bear 10 different engineering numbers are so similar that they can create one Carburator to use as a replacement for the 10-Therefore there will be only one sales number. A Ford parts catalogue will identify all the various codes etc that a particular sales number will replace.

Confusing? Yes.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:30 PM
silverblue66
2nd Gear Member

the number that is cast in the block on pre 68 mustangs just tells what type of car it goes into, on 68 and up the VIN is stamped on the block as well as the casting number. when a 68 and up car is matching numbers that means that the vin on the block matches the vin on the door and the dash. hope this helps. and i think z is for mustang, any year
Old 10-12-2007, 08:31 PM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

Numbers matching can get very deep. Not only do you need to have the correct part number (engineering number usually in the mold), also theproduction date of the part needs to be correct (usually stamped or taged).The third element is,normally the VIN is stamped into the block as well and maybe eventhe transmission case (as stated before), these need too matchthe sequencial production number of the car (the last six numbers).Thats why a truely "matching numbers" car is very rare.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:52 PM
remicks
4th Gear Member

Didn't Ford lose all the documentation on 64-66 mustang so there is no way to prove its numbers matching, even a Marti report can't show it. This is what I understand, if I'm wrong please someone correct me.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:36 PM
andrew340
1st Gear Member

well apparently my engine isn't numbers matching since it's got an o in it and that's supposed to be for fairlanes. i guess they might have installed a fairlane into a mustang if they needed to at the factory, guess there's no way of knowing
Old 10-15-2007, 09:00 PM
70coupe
1st Gear Member

i may be lucky...cause i noticed when i took my engine and trans out that the numbers matched the last 6 of my vin thats why i rebuilt them instead of getting a crate motor
Old 10-15-2007, 09:03 PM
MustangPilot65

My 65inline 200 is "D" coded on the block for a Falcon. The data plate code is "T". Could this be the original engine or did someone throw another 6 cyl. in it?

Quick Reply: #'s matching