Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Headliner Install '67 Fastback

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 10:39 PM
Silver Blue Stallion

Default Headliner Install '67 Fastback

Hello
This month brings the total time for a complete modified restoration of my '67 Fastback to four years and one left thumb surgery. Ouch! I'm finally on the downhill side having just received the car back from the paint and body man. Now it's all reassembly from here. I need to install the headlliner. I know the front and rear glass have to come out so that the liner can wrap and glue around the edge. What about the side window trim pieces. Do the upper weatherstripping trim pieces need to be removed as well? Anyone with an answer to this question has my MANY thanks in advance.

Andy
Old 10-13-2007, 09:39 AM
Mr. Classic EFI
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Headliner Install '67 Fastback

Yes, remove the inner trim pieces.
Unfold the new head liner in the sun, let the suns heat "relax" the folds. String the 3 support rods, in order, and mount into the propper holes. There are 2 wire clips that go from the rear most rod, to the rear inner roof pannel(they limit how far the rod can swing forward)
Woodenlaundry pins are used by most folks, I like reuse strips ofthe old wind lace(3-4 in. wide strips, much stronger!!!), to clip the head liner into place. Starting in the front, then rear, work your way around the perimeter, stretching & clipping, the headliner into place. I'll walk away for several hours, and let the headliner relax more, at this point. Heat & the sun are your friend. Retension the head liner, till your satisfied with the fit. then starting in the center of the front edge, begin glueing into place. I reccommend 3M yellow Weather strip adhesive. Do front, then rear, finishing on the sides.
This all takes a little time, but is really easy, and rewarding when your finished.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:01 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

I did mine just as EFI described above and it turned out to be much easier than I expected it to be, though it was very time consuming. For every minute spent pulling and clipping it in place, probably two minutes was spent removing 6" of clips, applying the adhesive, letting it tack up and setting. FWIW, I used the headliner adhesive that NPD sells and it works great, though use it sparingly and don't let it get on the front side of the vinyl.

My new headliner had a small little 'V' notched in to each end to indicate the center. I measured and set a piece of tape on the sheetmetal indicating the center and lined the two up to make sure it was straight. I started with the clothes pins but they didn't clamp tight enough so I quickly switched to the old windlace strips as well. I've since read that somebody used binder clips with good results which would probably make it easier while still clamping well, though at greater cost.

All clipped up prior to gluing (the "fold wrinkle went away after a day or so)

Finished product.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:47 PM
rouge67
1st Gear Member

Good job and good idea reusing old windlace !
Old 10-14-2007, 03:57 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

ORIGINAL: gothand

I did mine just as EFI described above and it turned out to be much easier than I expected it to be, though it was very time consuming. For every minute spent pulling and clipping it in place, probably two minutes was spent removing 6" of clips, applying the adhesive, letting it tack up and setting. FWIW, I used the headliner adhesive that NPD sells and it works great, though use it sparingly and don't let it get on the front side of the vinyl.

My new headliner had a small little 'V' notched in to each end to indicate the center. I measured and set a piece of tape on the sheetmetal indicating the center and lined the two up to make sure it was straight. I started with the clothes pins but they didn't clamp tight enough so I quickly switched to the old windlace strips as well. I've since read that somebody used binder clips with good results which would probably make it easier while still clamping well, though at greater cost.

All clipped up prior to gluing (the "fold wrinkle went away after a day or so)

Finished product.

u should come over and do mine
Old 10-15-2007, 01:23 AM
gothand
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rmodel65

u should come over and do mine
Come on over and you have a deal. It might cost you a bit more in gas than you'd like to pay.