Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Drum Brake Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 04:27 PM
Dakmor

Default Drum Brake Question

Hello,

My name is Roger and I am pretty new to the site. I have gone here forany problems that have arised with my 69' Mustang. I searched around earlier and found nothing that could answer my question exactly.

My question is...

My brake pedal (4 wheel drum; manual) is not spongy, nor does it build pressure as I pump. It does not lose pressure at all either. But it takes me putting it almost to the floor in order to stop. The pressure is very firm when I do so. I bled the brakes to the instructions given in one of the other posts and still the same issue. One thing I did notice is that on my master cylinder one of the resevoirs (dishes or w/e) is full to the brim and the other is lower. Will that affect anything?

Is there any additional info that is needed?

Hopefully you guyswill be ableanswer my question.

Thanks,
Roger
Old 10-13-2007, 05:53 PM
Grimm
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Drum Brake Question

Which one is lower,the small one or the big one? You said you bled the brakes. Did you refill the master cylinder while you were doing this? Have you checked the adjustment on the pads to see how close they are to the drums?
Old 10-13-2007, 06:05 PM
JBradley500
3rd Gear Member

http://broncograveyard.com/support/brakes.php

theres a brake troubleshooting guide...maybe it can help you out.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:08 PM
67coupe
2nd Gear Member

you may just have glazed shoes/drums. Also nay have an oil leal that has contaminated the shoes. If they are clean but dark and glossy take some coarse sandpaper and scuff up the drum and the shoes.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:36 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

The fact that one resevoir is lower leads me to think you have a leak in the system. You could also have some issues with the rubbers hoses expanding when you apply pressure to the system. As mentioned, also make sure the drums are properly adjusted. When turning the wheel (jack up the car first), you should hear the shoes contact the drum lightly.

To another responder: A drum/drum master cylinder has equal size resevoirs, as would a disc/discmaster cylinder. Drums and discs require different amounts of fluid to operate correctly, which is why a disc/drum master cylinder has different sizes on the resevoirs.