Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

C4 Removal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 06:38 PM
65StangFB
2nd Gear Member

Default C4 Removal?

Hey guys and gals,

I have checked the FAQs and have not bee able to find anything specific, but I was wondering if I am forgetting anything when I remove my C4. Do I need to disconnect the TC first or after I remove tranny?

1)Remove cooler lines
2)disconnect neutral safty/backup line and shifter linkage
3)Disconnect and remove driveshaft
4)Remove vacuum line
5)Remove transmission mount
6)Unbolt housing from engine, back off, and drop

Also any tips for install? I am assuming install TC on transmission first (rotating as I slip it on) and then bolt it on once the tramsission is in place?

Thanks for everyones help
Old 10-14-2007, 08:48 PM
70coupe
1st Gear Member

Default RE: C4 Removal?

i unbolted mine from the flywheel first cause otherwise transmission fluid will get everywheres
Old 10-14-2007, 09:11 PM
65StangFB
2nd Gear Member

Thanks, good point
Old 10-15-2007, 12:13 AM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Drain the pan first. Some have a drain plug, those that dont, remove all but four pan bolts. The bolts you leave in until last are two in front, and two in the rear. If you remove one front one, losen the other so about 2 threads show, then losen the back two slightly, you can get the pan to leak, then drain from the front. Place a pan under it to catch the fluid. The pan will hang on the rear two bolts, you can remove the front one completely once the fluid drain slows, and the rear bolts will allow the pan to be lowered slowly by simply losening them as you go. once it has stopped flowing, remove the pan entirely and drain it. Otherwise when you move the trans you get a bath.

If you pull the driveshaft without draining the pan, you will have a large leak back there. If the car is raised up only on front jackstands, you will get a bath as soon as the driveshaft comes out.

Pulling a trans without draining it first is a noob thing. ATF is super slick on concrete, walk on it and you will fall. The cheap kitty litter that comes in the red bag for $3 or so works very well for cleaning up what you dont get in the pan.

Im rebuilding the C4 for my 67 Cougar this week, its been out of the car for a year. Why you pulling yours?
Old 10-15-2007, 12:28 PM
65StangFB
2nd Gear Member

I installed mine in June with the engine and I have been having problems. It is under warranty and I am having another built and sent to me for free, but I have to remove the original. I have been on multiple calls with the manufacturer to fix, but did not have any luck. It was acting like the check ***** were hung up. It was falling out of gear and sometimes not shifting at all. They had me try lucas and an extra qt of fluid. Nothing seemed to work so they are sending a new one.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:42 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Falling out of gear is dry clutches, meaning the clutch doesnt have enough fluid to hold. Not shifting would be the same thing, its tough for the check ***** to hang up, but the valves in the valve body could hang up if it werent torqued correctly. I would look at the front pump for problems first, then go to the valve body. The C4 is super easy to air check the clutches, and its almost unpossible to screw up the seals on assembly. That leaves the VB and the pump as possible culprits. Lastly, make sure the cooler lines arent flattened or kinked anywhere.

That being said, sometimes Ford transmissions will just shift funny, and do weird things. They have aluminum valve bodies, and even a fluid change can stir up enough gunk inside to stick a valve. The one I will never touch again is an A4LD, those are a nightmare for me. A C4 is a 3 hour build, very simple and it takes longer to clean parts than it does to rebuild it. The hardest part is getting the struts back in for the bands. They are a pain, but not overly difficult.

If you arent putting a ton of power through it, a stock rebuild should last you quite a while.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:56 PM
Mr. Classic EFI
2nd Gear Member

Alternate to draining the tranny, The slip yoke can be be taped into position, or a plastic plug can be inserted in the yokes place, to prevent fluid from draing out of the tranny during removal.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:00 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

True but then you have to contend with the dipstick tube and getting the car high enough to get it out. If you have a lift you are golden, on the floor with a jack is another story.. Pull the dipstick tube out and you get fluid again. Hence why I simply drain them first.

Reminds me.. dont forget the jackstands..
Old 10-15-2007, 01:04 PM
Mr. Classic EFI
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: THUMPIN455

True but then you have to contend with the dipstick tube and getting the car high enough to get it out. If you have a lift you are golden, on the floor with a jack is another story.. Pull the dipstick tube out and you get fluid again. Hence why I simply drain them first.

Reminds me.. dont forget the jackstands..
Fer sure,several ways to do things,... and Dont forget the jackstands!! Hehheh
Old 10-15-2007, 02:04 PM
mySAVIOReigns
3rd Gear Member

Just how high do you have to jack it up? I will be getting just an engine soon and instead of pulling both I thought about pulling just the engine to do the swap. I think it might be easier with both, but if I can drop the tranny fairly easy, I might go that route.

Quick Reply: C4 Removal?