Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

3 Speed Linkage Alignment Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 01:45 PM
remicks
4th Gear Member

Default 3 Speed Linkage Alignment Help

I'm having shifting problems with my 67 3 speed. When shifting from first to anything else it seems as if the linkage disengages. The shifter will physically go from 1st to 2nd or wherever but it will remain in first gear. The only way to shift is if I pull the shifter toward me when shifting. I'm trying to align the linkage and I realized that a screwdriver will not fit in the hole because there is no space between the plate and trans, I figure there is a specific tool for this. Does anybody know what it is and where I can get it? Also which three bolts are the ones that to loosen, the three on the big metal bracket?
Old 10-15-2007, 02:25 PM
remicks
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 3 Speed Linkage Alignment Help

Ok, crawling under there with my haynes and trying to figure things out and I just managed to confuse the hell out of myself. Not a very good picture in the manual.

Could someone show me on the picture where three linkage adjustment nuts are and where the control bracket where to put the 1/4" rod through.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:42 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Not sure what the hell that third rod to the column is in that pic, but it sure isn't in my 67. Ditch the Haynes and get yourself a Factory Service Manual. I severely doubt the accuracy of that picture, although I don't have my FSM with me.

The nuts are located on the sides of the rods that connect to the shifter. You loosen those and place a drill bit (whatever size will fit, I can't recall atm) in the hole that runsthrough the lower shifter arms, then tighten all of the nuts down.

I'd also recommend picking up a shifter rebuild kit for a 4sp. This kit replaces the sloppy stock shifter bushings with spring loaded steel bushings. I rebuilt mine with this kit, made a big difference.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:11 PM
remicks
4th Gear Member

Ok I follow you mostly. Where the bolts are exactly located I'm kind of lost. When you say at the end of the rods connecting to the shifter I'm thinking of the part that is connected by the cauder pin and washer, the only other bolts I can think of are the big ones up on the plate by the shifter. Could you direct me a little more specifically, I'm a little lost at the moment.

And that third arm I definitely don't have one of those either, I don't know where that came from. I'm definitely going to look into an actual service manual. Any suggestions where to get one?
Old 10-15-2007, 05:28 PM
Cogtx
3rd Gear Member

Maybe I can confuse you even more...there is a hole below the spring near your shift control bracket (see picture). You need to get under the car to see it. The hole is between that spring and the linkage rod. Get a 1/4" drill bit and stick it in that hole. The bit will just keep everything from moving around while you adjust the bolts. The bolts are under your shift boot. You will need a shift kit which has the bolts, bushings, etc. Put the shift kit in and tighten it up. Take the drill bit out of the control bracket. The shifter should move more firmly now without a lot of slop. I hope this is the info you were needing...keep us posted on your repair...also..go to ebay to locate a used shop manual.

shift kit http://johnsmustang.com/Parts/details-3658.html

[IMG]local://upfiles/19071/5451D87AC93C43E898A1DCC432A10573.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-15-2007, 05:55 PM
remicks
4th Gear Member

Ok now I'm really confused because my linkage looks like this. Whats wrong with my picture?

[IMG]local://upfiles/50401/126944BEE1714A85AF552DE62DC1560C.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-15-2007, 06:21 PM
Cogtx
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: remicks

Ok now I'm really confused because my linkage looks like this. Whats wrong with my picture?

[IMG]local://upfiles/50401/126944BEE1714A85AF552DE62DC1560C.jpg[/IMG]
Maybe not the original shifter, linkage, tranny? Do you know the type of transmission you have...model...mine is the 3spd 3.03...they made a 2.77 model for the 67 year which was less durable...however, I am no transmission expert so others here may be able to address your issue...
Old 10-15-2007, 06:26 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Uhh....what is that?lol That sure isn't the same as my 67 3sp. Is this even a Mustang?Heck, that doesn't even look like a factory shifter; it has adjustable shift stops on the front and back. The factoryMustang shifter bracketbolts to 3 threaded bosses on the very back of the tranny tailhousing. Other models bolt closer to the front of the tranny, but none to my knowledge look quite like that. Maybe a hurst shifter?

However, it looks like those rods are threaded, in which case you just remove the cotter pins (and get yourself some reusable clips) and just rotate the threaded blocks (or whatever the cotter pins are holding in place) until they're in the desired position. I bet the shifter still has an alignment hole somewhere, I just can't see one in that picture.

And Cogtx, I recommended the 4sp shifter rebuild kit because it comes with springs behind those little domed bushings to keep tension on them and cut down on noise and slop. Everything else is the same.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:32 PM
remicks
4th Gear Member

Alright, cool at least I realize I'm not an idiot a couldn't figure out the original 3 speed linkage. Now I just have to figure out what I have, awesome. Actually now that I think about it that was the original linkage in the trunk, maybe something about it is in the receipts. Another adventure to figure out what someone did to a 40 year old car. Thanks for the help anyways guys.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:34 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Yeah, good luck. And be glad you have an aftermarket shifter, my stock one sucks :P

Quick Reply: 3 Speed Linkage Alignment Help