Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

What are you doing with you car this winter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 06:05 PM
ldollar
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: What are you doing with you car this winter?

Good thread topic, remicks...
And I won't be laughing at anyone because I spent many winters in Eastern Washington state so I know about those long cold months.... And I never had a classic back in those days, I was a Ford truck guy. Never even had a garage so every morning it was out to the street to scoop off the X number of inches of nasty white **** off my car and hope the handle wasn't frozen shut. Wearing my gloves and seeing my breath, I would just hope the truck would turn over so I could let it warm up for 5 or 8 minutes before driving my shivering *** off down a few icy hills and hoping I didnt get hit by another minivan spinning out of control through the suicidal uncontrolled intersections... Oh those were the days. Built character and now I can drive in RAIN, unlike so many Califorians. It is hilarious, when a rainstorm hits the bay area, there are like 300+ accidents in one day in the region. I can only imagine the chaos if it ever snowed here.
And now that I am settled back in the mild comfort of coastal CA, the winter for me won't bring any big projects except for maybe that front disc brake conversion I want to do. I am actually looking forward to the fact that I can drive my car on dry days all through the winter and take it on cruises on nice Dec. and Jan. weekends. That is one thing that is great about living here. But to all you guys who have nice big shops and garages in rural or not so rural areas, that is something to be grateful for! That is something I will probably never have unless I pack up my tent and move out of this place...which is unlikely. The most I am really hoping for is a simple garage that I can park my baby in a protected space. It is in a carport now, but when it rains, she still gets wet since the carport is over 100 years old and probably has the original roofing! Cheers all!
Old 10-17-2007, 06:07 PM
connor90
4th Gear Member

im driving it...every day, snow or no snow. i need to get a set of chains.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:11 PM
390bigblock1
2nd Gear Member

ill be driving it, but i dont have to deal with snow, unless its rain, its still primer and my windows dont roll up
Old 10-17-2007, 06:16 PM
remicks
4th Gear Member

I definitely cannot drive my car in the snow here in MI. The car would rot out in a day, the state uses 100% salt. Yay having my 4x4 F150.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:19 PM
connor90
4th Gear Member

yeah...we usually only get a couple inches at a time...at most 5" although the other year we got 3ft during one storm. hope that doesnt happen this year or im going to have to rely on my friends to get around
Old 10-17-2007, 06:19 PM
mySAVIOReigns
3rd Gear Member

I'll be driving mine, hopefully haha, and getting it ready for my wedding in February. it's going to be the "getaway" vehicle
Old 10-17-2007, 06:58 PM
Tomphot
1st Gear Member

I drive my car more in the winter than in the summer in the ATL. I don't have AC but the heat works fine.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:39 PM
bb427stang

This Winter the '68 gets subfrane connectors, convert the duals to an "X" pipe system, replace the cooling fans and get it on a roller dyno for tuning.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:26 PM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

Hey all. Hopefully I will get the chance to finish my 9" rear, shocks, wheels and tires on all 4. That is the money part, the hard part. For the time consuming part, I plan on finishing the body work and prep it for paint by next spring. Body work, what a time consuming task. The front suspension/steering is pretty much complete. Also, run new fuel and brake lines. This is my first rebuild, so I am learning as I go. This place is great for info on anything. Thanks all!
Old 10-17-2007, 08:35 PM
Arcticspook
2nd Gear Member

Going in the garage. I will crank it and drive it around the neighborhood twice a week to keep it fresh. I will try to get a set of disc brakes on the front and some transmission work done.

Quick Reply: What are you doing with you car this winter?