Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

What are you doing with you car this winter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 04:45 PM
remicks
4th Gear Member

Default What are you doing with you car this winter?

I'm just wondering what people on here are planning to do with your car over winter. Are you just putting it up to come back to it next year? Do you plan on improving it, how? All that good stuff. And not to leave anybody out, the southerners can laugh at us northerners for having to deal with snow and salt.

I'll start it off. I just bought my car and I have alot of work to do this winter. First I have to dismantle it and media blast it to get rid of this bad overspray paint job put on by the PO. I'm not sure on the color yet but I was leaning toward a powder blue, with stripes and black interior, mostly because you do not see that color on the road at all. Then I feel I need a couple more gears than 3. I'm converting my 3 speed manual to a t5 so I don't have to deal with that weird linkage from the PO anymore. Then I'm going to put in the fatman fabrications kit to convert it to a coilover suspension, power rack and pinion steering, and power disc brakes. Then some nice bucket seats and 3 point belts. That should make it a nice daily driver. If the budget permits a new painless wiring harness and some new wheels and tires 15x7 because these stock narrow things aren't doing much good.

Post a before pic before putting it away if you can.
Hopefully my after will look alot different.

[IMG]local://upfiles/50401/D32D10143C5649258D85FC938843B2E3.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-17-2007, 04:52 PM
remicks
4th Gear Member

Default RE: What are you doing with you car this winter?

Kind of taking off your post Idollar. I'm hoping to see if we can get some sort of before and after going and see how close people stick to their goals.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:04 PM
Hawkins 812
2nd Gear Member

Unfortunatly i have to rent a 10x20 storage unit for this coming winter due to lack of space.

Plans include; Upholstery redone on the front two seats. Gettting some new tires and rims before spring. Custom installing a pod for the speedo,fuel, and feul/air mixture gauges. I plan on installing a hurst shifter and maybe a middle console....and some other little customs i might think of.

Basically my car is sound so i just plan on customizing it and having fun!
Old 10-17-2007, 05:11 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Still building them. My summer daily driver gets parked for the winter, they salt the roads heavily here. Besides a Formula Firebird with 285 45 17 F1 Eagles doesnt go through snow very well. You just dont drive a nice car here in the winter. We average 200"+ of snow per winter here, so you either have a 4x4 or something that goes through the snow ok. Our winter beater is a 97 Dodge intrepid that we got for $200, we dont care if that thing rusts away, and we have washed it twice.

The Cougar will be complete by the time the salt is off the roads, and the Mustang should be ready for paint, if not painted by that time too. The Cougar needs assembled, the trim polished up, and the interior reworked. Most of my extra funds will go into it, but the Mustang will get some time and a little cash too. I need it finished and out of the shop. As I get things done on them, I will post pics for you guys. If anyone wants to know how to do a C4 rebuild, tomorrow looks like a nice day for one.. Come on over..
Old 10-17-2007, 05:17 PM
Hawkins 812
2nd Gear Member

How about a helping me swap out my c6 for an 4R70W ?
I will post pics for you guys
That would be nice ... id tune in and try n learn as much as i could. Ever considered a webpage?

-Hawkins
Old 10-17-2007, 05:22 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Driving mine, all year. It snows here but not real heavily, usually enough that I can still drive if I have decentall season tires. They don't use salt herethough
Old 10-17-2007, 05:23 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I'll be driving mine:P That, and replacing the shocks and rear leafs, and hopefully doing the Shelby drop and maybe even cutting the coils up front.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:26 PM
Hawkins 812
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 67mustang302

Driving mine, all year. It snows here but not real heavily, usually enough that I can still drive if I have decentall season tires. They don't use salt herethough
They dont use salt here either but they usethistype offertilizer mix that clumps up the size of a softball [&:].
Old 10-17-2007, 05:31 PM
68Mustang302

i'll probably do mainly interior stuff this winter. i am gonna get it back frompaintnext week, and then i am doing the headliner so i can put the windows in, within the next couple of weeks.we will probably drive it on and off this winter it snows here in oregon only sometimes, it mainly rains. so ya that's about it.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:35 PM
68EFIvert
3rd Gear Member

My car is at the body shop now and will have color by December 1. I will then take it to have the new cloth convertible to installed. Goes the the tuner and alighnment shop from there. Back to my garage for reassembly and instillation of the Vortech supercharger. Back to the tuner and then, if all goes acording to plan I will put it in a couple shows before the cruise season starts. If the pocket book and timeline allows I may put on a TCP G-bar system for the rear. I don't think I will have time for that though so it may be a winter 08' project.

Quick Reply: What are you doing with you car this winter?