Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Car Audio?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 01:38 AM
restomod87
2nd Gear Member

Default Car Audio?

Hey guys I've just completed the rewiring of my mustang, in particular the car's audio and accessory stuff. Upon replacing, saudering, and rerunning just about everything as well as fixing my CD players wireing harness, I have realized that the speakers in the front ( 2x 3 1/2 speakers) and a 4x6 FoMoCo stock speaker are completely busted as well as the 2 6x9 (Cheappppp) speakers that came in the back when I purchased the car...

Anyone have some good quality speakers that were replaced and collecting dust? Let me know I'm in the market for a good deal If anyones got some left over from a past project! Thanks always,

~Patrick
Old 10-19-2007, 09:02 AM
fast65
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Car Audio?

I don't have any, but you might want to try some Rockford Fosgates, they're not too expensive and theyput outgreat sound.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:47 AM
PReal
5th Gear Member

The people in the car audio section of the forum would be a much better crowd to ask......

You can get some great speakers for a great cost, but it all depends on your budget.

Whatever you do, don't buy any car audio from best buyor circuit city. Their equipment is over hyped and over priced. I'll assume since you are going cheap you want to use the amp power from your source unit (CD player or stock radio)

If you want 3.5's look into stuff like this....
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=3386$60
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=4581$40

You could even go to wal-mart and pick up some cheap pioneers or lightening audios.

For 6x9's.... (Even though I hate oval speakers and will never put them in anythingI own)
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=3378$110
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=2825$120 (The pionner rev series are some of the best speakers on the market in low power applications, i.e. no amp)

I wouldn't even connect the 4x6.

If you want a setup that is solely budget driven, and don't want to go to walmartthis is your solution...
3.5's http://ikesound.com/product-product_id/6635$13
6x9's http://ikesound.com/product-product_id/2261$22

That is about half the cost of some 3.5 rockfords and will sound just about as good.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:54 AM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

I allways thought the 6x9 was a great sounding speaker.. With a good set and a decent head unit or an aftermarket amp putting out about 50w rms per channel a set of 6x9's can sound damn good.. I have allways been a fan of pioneer decks and MTX speakers,, but anything could sound good if you know how to match the components right and dont just crank the bass on a set of speakers that cant handle it.. I hate when people do that to a stock stereo,, you hear it all the time,, the bass is cranked all the way up and they are blaring it loud as hell,, and all you hear is rattleing and distortion.. But they think its cool because the bass is all the way up and its loud..[sm=rant.gif]
Old 10-19-2007, 12:14 PM
PReal
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: boogerschnot

I allways thought the 6x9 was a great sounding speaker.. With a good set and a decent head unit or an aftermarket amp putting out about 50w rms per channel a set of 6x9's can sound damn good.. I have allways been a fan of pioneer decks and MTX speakers,, but anything could sound good if you know how to match the components right and dont just crank the bass on a set of speakers that cant handle it.. I hate when people do that to a stock stereo,, you hear it all the time,, the bass is cranked all the way up and they are blaring it loud as hell,, and all you hear is rattleing and distortion.. But they think its cool because the bass is all the way up and its loud..[sm=rant.gif]
Here are a couple problems and I won't go into detail. If you want more detail, shoot me a pm or if the OP wants it I will provide.

1. 6x9's will sound worse then 6.5's. Becuase of the oval nature of the speaker you get a nonlinear deformation across the area of the cone under stress. That creates small amounts of distortion at high frequencies. 6x9's have more surface area and like for like excursion will produce more bass then 6.5's becuase of that increase in surface area. If you think 6x9's sound good, get yourself a set of $100 CDT 6.5 comps that will blow just about any 6x9 out of the water. How often do you see 6x9's in a high end home theatre system, you don't. The only occasion I would ever run a 6x9 is as a midbass woofer only. Full range rear speakers are a joke anyway. People that know car audio do not use full range rears.

2. Pioneer makes great entry lvl headunits and some of thier premier lines are pretty nice. Most car audio enthusiats would recommend alpine and eclipes over pioneer regardless of product line. I have never seen anyone at a car audio comp running MTX highs in an SQ competition, and I don't even believe they make upper lvl comps.

3. In car audio, most people's bass sounds like poo becuase of installation problems not the speakers themselves. A speaker is basically a pison that moves air. When you loose the sound energy into vibrations, you basically destroy the SQ of the driver.

4. There is not an HU that produces a true 50 watts/channel rms at 4 ohms. Most HU's will put out around 8-11 watts per channel rms. The distortion that is audible is from the crappy 10 watt amp inside the headunit clipping like crazy.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:24 PM
Hawkins 812
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PReal

ORIGINAL: boogerschnot

Here are a couple problems and I won't go into detail. If you want more detail, shoot me a pm or if the OP wants it I will provide.

1. 6x9's will sound worse then 6.5's. Becuase of the oval nature of the speaker you get a nonlinear deformation across the area of the cone under stress. That creates small amounts of distortion at high frequencies. 6x9's have more surface area and like for like excursion will produce more bass then 6.5's becuase of that increase in surface area. If you think 6x9's sound good, get yourself a set of $100 CDT 6.5 comps that will blow just about any 6x9 out of the water. How often do you see 6x9's in a high end home theatre system, you don't. The only occasion I would ever run a 6x9 is as a midbass woofer only. Full range rear speakers are a joke anyway. People that know car audio do not use full range rears.

2. Pioneer makes great entry lvl headunits and some of thier premier lines are pretty nice. Most car audio enthusiats would recommend alpine and eclipes over pioneer regardless of product line. I have never seen anyone at a car audio comp running MTX highs in an SQ competition, and I don't even believe they make upper lvl comps.

3. In car audio, most people's bass sounds like poo becuase of installation problems not the speakers themselves. A speaker is basically a pison that moves air. When you loose the sound energy into vibrations, you basically destroy the SQ of the driver.

4. There is not an HU that produces a true 50 watts/channel rms at 4 ohms. Most HU's will put out around 8-11 watts per channel rms. The distortion that is audible is from the crappy 10 watt amp inside the headunit clipping like crazy.
Well said....

You should always look at the RMS ratingwhen purchasingsound equipment. RMS = True potential(power/watts). I personally use Alpine Type R equipment. VERY GOOD, but like Pioneer, Alpine carries a price tag ....but the difference is Alpine is actually worth it. Pioneer = HomeAudio / Alpine = Car audio.

Hope This Helps !
-Hawkins
Old 10-19-2007, 12:56 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Hawkins 812

You should always look at the RMS ratingwhen purchasingsound equipment. RMS = True potential(power/watts). I personally use Alpine Type R equipment. VERY GOOD, but like Pioneer, Alpine carries a price tag ....but the difference is Alpine is actually worth it. Pioneer = HomeAudio / Alpine = Car audio.

Hope This Helps !
-Hawkins
Very well said.. And I must say that even though I do like 6x9's ,, I did have a set of 5.5 components filling the 6x9 opening in the rear ofmy daily driver running off theHU because I got a good deal,and the 5.5mb qt components in the front are running off ofa 4 channelKenwood split up for tri-power...I agreeabout pioneer not being the best, but they do a greatjob for the price..

and what I was ranting on was how people can turn up the volume so loud and actually think it sounds good, when all they are hearing is distorted crap.. I like my music to sound, clear, articulate, and crisp. I like to feel the bass more than "hear" the bass.. Some people just want it loud to the point where the amp starts overdriving and clipping and that makes the music sound like crap.. You are correct that its all about the quality and amount of power going to a speaker and not just the speaker that makes the music sound good.. You need a good combination of both and the common sence not to not turn the volume up to the point that it does overdrive the speakers.. Thats all..
Old 10-19-2007, 01:23 PM
PReal
5th Gear Member

Guys,

I hate to break it to you, but Type R equipment isn't that great. I would consider it mediocre at best. Alpine makes nice headunits and a the F1 flagship model comps are also very nice. Thier speakers and subs are sub par for the price, and numberous pieces of equipment will blow thier socks off for less money.

I don't look at RMS and beleive it, most of the amps I buy are underrated, not overrated like many of your best buy brands.

Booger,

Why are you running full range rear fill. If you have a decent front stage that is amplified you shouldn't even be using rear speakers. If you just can't part with rears, the most you ever want to run in a rear fill application is a mid. I usually recommend crossing them over at around 500hz. (technically midbass) If you want me to go into more detail about the evil of full range rear fill let me know.

FYI,

Good brands are relative to the equipment you are talking about.

Eclipse makes great HU's and used to make some great subs.
Alpine makes good HU's and the F1's are nice.
Rockford used to make good equipment, their new stuff is OK
JL is great but entirely overpriced, so it can be beat for the money.
Pioneer is like Sony, they make good entry lvl HU's.

Check out the audio section of the forum, there are quite a few knowledgeable people.

Old 10-19-2007, 01:34 PM
Hawkins 812
2nd Gear Member

I would have to dissagree. This type R stuff is outta this world and very well priced. Ive won 2 audio comps and came runner up with Alpine Type R setup; V-Power m850/2 12" R-Subs/2 5x8s & 2 6x9s. <---Thats how you shake the ground "Mustang." ...
There were some major equipment there also....the "underground" stuff most people have no idea about. Everyone has their opinions i guess. I plan on getting the type X Alpine once i have the funds

I don't look at RMS and beleive it, most of the amps I buy are underrated, not overrated like many of your best buy brands.
Only way it would be under-rated is if they rated under 14.4 volts.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:38 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PReal

Guys,

I hate to break it to you, but Type R equipment isn't that great. I would consider it mediocre at best. Alpine makes nice headunits and a the F1 flagship model comps are also very nice. Thier speakers and subs are sub par for the price, and numberous pieces of equipment will blow thier socks off for less money.

Booger,

Why are you running full range rear fill. If you have a decent front stage that is amplified you shouldn't even be using rear speakers. If you just can't part with rears, the most you ever want to run in a rear fill application is a mid. I usually recommend crossing them over at around 500hz. (technically midbass) If you want me to go into more detail about the evil of full range rear fill let me know.

FYI,

Good brands are relative to the equipment you are talking about.

Eclipse makes great HU's and used to make some great subs.
Alpine makes good HU's and the F1's are nice.
Rockford used to make good equipment, their new stuff is OK
JL is great but entirely overpriced, so it can be beat for the money.
Pioneer is like Sony, they make good entry lvl HU's.

Check out the audio section of the forum, there are quite a few knowledgeable people.

Like I said,, I did it because they were cheap.. And they did sound good with the bandpass 2-10 mtx box in the rear.. Oh, and the components kind of made up for the dead frequencies that the bandpass box was putting out.. The sweet spot was between 85-120hz somewhere,, but like i said, it sounded really good.. and thats all that mattered to me..

Quick Reply: Car Audio?