Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

I'm doing it wrong, maybe? Monte Bar/Export Brace

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 11:23 PM
remicks
4th Gear Member

Default RE: I'm doing it wrong, maybe? Monte Bar/Export Brace

ORIGINAL: Oxnard Montalvo

I've asked this question three times, when you spread the towers what happens to the gap between the hood and fenders on the sides? Do you loosen the fenders first?
Well I can tell you that the gap on the passenger side of my hood became larger. I began to start adjusting it, then I realized I'm not completely sure what I'm doing and it got dark out. The hood didn't fit the best to begin with, now its a little worse but I plan on changing hoods this winter so I'm not too concerned.

On loosening the fenders, I don't know, I'm curious too.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:09 AM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

I've asked this question three times, when you spread the towers what happens to the gap between the hood and fenders on the sides? Do you loosen the fenders first?
I would imagine that occasionally (depending on how out of whack) the front end might be after you install a bar you might want to adjust your front end bolt on parts to adjust your gaps. I have never had to do this however after installing engine bracing and I have had to hang a car from the frame rails for 2 days and still pound the crap out of the bar to get it in. Now that it has been in for a while it unbolts and bolts in just fine with no pounding.

It is usually easiest to start adjusting the hood only and trying to 'split' the gap evenly on both side. If this is not possible or you think the gap it too large then it becomes more tedious because you have basically loosen everything and start fiddling.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:25 PM
coda618
3rd Gear Member

You can adjust the gap by loosening the to fender bolts and attempting to push it is. I usually recomened doing this before install so that when you spread the towers, it will move independently of the fender, if that makes sense. Anyway, you can use a paint stir stick to measure the proper gap and as a stop when you push the fender in.

Good luck.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:27 PM
remicks
4th Gear Member

Ok so you mean loosen the bolts on top of the fender so it won't go out of alignment. Or I can loosen them now and push them around to adjust the gaps?
Old 11-08-2007, 06:02 AM
fedrooster

Mustang Monthly did an article on this a year or so ago. It tells exactly where to support the car and what to loosten (both fenders). You may find the article if you do a serch on their sight. I want to do the same thing, just havn't had time.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:20 AM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

I will search for it tonight. After about 4 hours I got my export brace in. Tried and tried to install the Monte bar, but eventually it went sailing across the front yard. The Mrs. yelled at me and went and picked it up. Now it is sitting and mocking me in the garage[:@][:@]
Old 11-08-2007, 09:56 AM
choefle
2nd Gear Member

Here is a copy of the article that ran in Mustang Montly on installing anexport brace and a monte carlo barback in January of 2005.

http://www.fly-ford.com/MM0105-How_T...Carlo_Bar.html

Old 11-08-2007, 10:08 AM
66ckurt
2nd Gear Member

aight guys this might throw everyone off. Ever heard of an engine sagging out? mine does. also can anyone give me a quick run down of an export bracer , if the carlo bar prevents the car from ripping its self apart whats the bracer do?
Old 11-08-2007, 05:55 PM
KStang65
1st Gear Member

My shock tower was bent in on the driver sidefrom a previous owner hitting a massive pothole. No amount of sitting on jacks helped.

I had to take the engine out and hydraulic jack the driver side out about an inch.

All dimensions measure out correct now in the engine bay.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:53 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 66ckurt

aight guys this might throw everyone off. Ever heard of an engine sagging out? mine does. also can anyone give me a quick run down of an export bracer , if the carlo bar prevents the car from ripping its self apart whats the bracer do?
The monte carlo bar prevents lateral "roll" in the car's structure. Think about when you take a hard turn. So much is linking the bottom of the car from side to side (crossmember, radiator support, steering assembly, engine by the mounts) but nothing is linking the sides together at the top. The bar prevents flexing under hard cornering and prevents your inner fenders saggin inwards.

The export brace triangulates from the firewall to the shocktowers. I dunno, just stops flexing..

Quick Reply: I'm doing it wrong, maybe? Monte Bar/Export Brace