Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

How hard is it to install a Hood Scoop

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 05:12 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Default RE: How hard is it to install a Hood Scoop

ORIGINAL: dodgestang

You know....I actually don't recall ever seeing a body color 69 style scoop....I guess I don't get out much
+1 I thought it would look weird, doesn't look too bad.

I still like the blacked out better though
Old 10-30-2007, 06:31 PM
88Mach1
3rd Gear Member

mine's half blacked out

[IMG]local://upfiles/72133/85A781AEAB29416EACD403B7484C3BB9.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-30-2007, 07:34 PM
Waffles
5th Gear Member

SHAKERRRRRRR

Mine was originally a 302 2bbl car, and I put on a 4bbl intake and carb early on and decided wanted the shaker; took a hgh-rise intake, 1 inch carb spacer, and finding a shaker base assembly set up for a 351w (not altogether too common) to make the combo work riight but it was an exceptional look for even a mild 302.

Now it looks as bad as it performs on my 351w.

(Is going to be more cleaned up by spring, but to give the idea... )
Old 10-30-2007, 09:06 PM
Mustang Dad
2nd Gear Member

We got the bond on style hood scoop. Used a couple of aircraft counter-sunk rivets to hold it in place at the start, fiberglassed it on and then smoothed it all out with (I know I'm going to catch hell for this)...........bondo. Looks good and its functional. We will be painting over it and adding rally stripes. The next task will be adding side scoops next weekend.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:28 PM
eep4life
2nd Gear Member

i have two questions... one alot of you mentioned the turn signal wires.. im confused about this... i have a 69 and i dont have any wires going in to my hood and i dont see why adding a scoop would get in the way of the turn signal wires.... and two i do like the look of a shaker kit but since the scoop is exposed can it be ran in the rain?
Old 10-30-2007, 11:38 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: eep4life

i have two questions... one alot of you mentioned the turn signal wires.. im confused about this... i have a 69 and i dont have any wires going in to my hood and i dont see why adding a scoop would get in the way of the turn signal wires.... and two i do like the look of a shaker kit but since the scoop is exposed can it be ran in the rain?
Adding a scoop doesn't get in the way of the turn signal wires, its just that with adding the scoop you have to deal with teh turn signal wires. This means more fancy holes to trill and just a bigger hasle. Here's again the picture I posted above. The e circles and two odd shapped ovalish holes are there for the turn signal wires and lights (mainly the ovalish ones).

As for the shaker not letting your car being ran in the rain.... I'm sure if your driving very little water will be actually going in there. If ford put it on in the 60's for people to drive around, i'm sure it can be driven today.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:04 PM
Nabster
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: eep4life

With that style scoop, there are two lenses in the back you can see from inside the car, you have the option of putting turn signal indicators in there so when you put on your blinker you don't have to look down at the dash to see the little flashing arrow.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:12 PM
Waffles
5th Gear Member

Sure my car can be ran in the rain (though that doesnt mean that it DOES) anything with functional ram air can be, as long as you aren't dumping water down down it. This goes for all functional 69-70 scoops, shaker assemblies, and 71-73 NACA hoods. It has a seal (seen in my 2nd pc) that meets around the hole in the hood, so anything that gets around the shaker into the engine compartment drips through a hose down toward the ground, and none really every gets into the shaker, and if it did, it makes its way nto the base assembly which also has a drain built in. (Though I am mssing the snorkel in the pics, it is on there now)

But to me nothing beats the look of a shaker. Just a classic muscle look on any car.

f I didnt have th shaker though, Id've definitely put on the scoop. It's a solid look, with a blacked out hood, OR same color as car.

In fact, I think I might go buy a Boss 429 Hood scoop for my 01 F-150 lol.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:36 PM
109jb
3rd Gear Member

You can get Cobra-Jet style scoops without the provisions for the turn signal indicators. Also, to make it functional you don't necessarily have to cut one big giant hole in the hood. You could just cut a few smaller holes with a hole saw, like maybe two or three 4" holes.

BTW, anyone know where I can get an repro cobra jet air cleaner for a 70' with 351W. I'm looking for the air cleaner, hood seal and all.

Thanks,

John B.