Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

How hard is it to install a Hood Scoop

Old 10-30-2007, 11:48 AM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Default How hard is it to install a Hood Scoop

Thinking about putting on a hood scoop, they are pretty cheap and look really good, so how bad is the installation, I know it takes a few holes drilled in the hood and maybe wiring for the blinkers but what else? Is there any type of gasket that goes between the scoop and hood?

I should probably just wait and put on a shaker system when I win the lottery [:@]
Old 10-30-2007, 01:39 PM
mat11089
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: How hard is it to install a Hood Scoop

If youre doing the type specific for your year just buy the parts as if it original had a scoop and it wont be too bad.I believe there is a gasket and the scoop should come with a template to lay out and drill and cut,Scoops are awesome additioins
Old 10-30-2007, 01:42 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

IMO the easiest way to install a scoop it to buy a hood, paint it, and then unbolt the stock one and install the new one. That way you can also put your old hood back on if you ever change your mind.

I know if 69 they had the black trun signal scoop which would in theory mean you might be able to get away without paint and simply bolting something on, but it wouldn't be functional unless you cut a big old hole in the hood too.I do believe however they only installed that scoop on cars that also had a blacked out hood and I don't think it would look right to have a black hood scoop on a solid color hood without the matte black paint on it as well.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:52 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

The original 69 hood scoops look great, but they arn't functional. The only complexity I see is cutting out the holes for turn signals which are oddly shaped. Other than that you just need a hole big enough for each stud.

And if you are going to do the hood scoop you should definitely do the black hood treatment, otherwise its not the same. And a body color hood scoop would look weird with that style as well.

Here's my hood when I took off the hood scoop (just pretend the 4 studs that fused to the nuts arn't there ). Notice the two odd ovalish type holes for the hood scoop, and theres even more holes underneath as well.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:54 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

oh and of course you can make it functional if you cut a big hole underneath, but I would try to avoid doing that. These scoops were put on simply for asthetic reasons, so if you do make it functional I'd get a different hood so you can always put your original one back on just in case.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:26 PM
Nabster
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 4reboy
And if you are going to do the hood scoop you should definitely do the black hood treatment, otherwise its not the same. And a body color hood scoop would look weird with that style as well.
I don't think my scoop looks weird

Old 10-30-2007, 03:43 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

You know....I actually don't recall ever seeing a body color 69 style scoop....I guess I don't get out much
Old 10-30-2007, 03:56 PM
jcomp
2nd Gear Member

This one is body color but it might end up blacked out soon.

Old 10-30-2007, 04:22 PM
mat11089
3rd Gear Member

i think it looks better blacked out too.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:27 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

I think that Nabster's coupe is the best looking lime gold 69 I have ever seen.. That thing is awsome.. I never liked that color until today..

Anyway. I will probably have to replace my hood due to a nice notched dent in the nose, and I dont want to just rebuild the tip with bondo, so unless the guys at the body shop can work that magic I will just replace it new/used.. And if i can afford i will go with a shaker, but if not, then im going with the bolt onin black.. I like them both..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How hard is it to install a Hood Scoop