Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Mustang death trap?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 06:39 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Mustang death trap?

Yeah, I've seen that article. It's not nearly as big a problem as they make it out to be (hooray sensationalist media). No, it's not as safe as other designs, but you have to get hit just right to cause that kind of explosion.

You have to realize, these cars aren't really safe in any way, shape, or formwhen compared to modern vehicles. If you get hit that hard from behind in a pre-68 car, the steering column is going to crush your chest and kill you anyway.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:42 PM
19coupe65

I did the same as JMD did, sheet metal firewall behind the rear seat
Old 11-01-2007, 06:54 PM
Kenny_Z
2nd Gear Member

The PO of my Mustang spun into a telephone pole and bent the heck out of the rear and tank. A towel sparked and caught fire because of the license plate light wiring. I'd say they aren't that prone to exploding if a burning towel on the tank didn't cause an explosion after a rearend collision. I will be doing that sheetmetal upgrade in the future though.

http://www.kservers.net/route66/imag...r/PA270003.jpg
Old 11-01-2007, 07:28 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

I think it would mostly depend on what hits and and what speed. If a metro slams into ur butt at 40, he's gonna take all the damage, but if a F150 hits you at 40, I'd have to say your gonna be worse off. Theres only a few inches between the very rear of the car and the gastank, just a poor design..

www.tankarmor.com makes a heavy steel plate that encloses the tank and "prevents" the explosive from going up into the cabin

Acouple vendors offer the steel seat divider. I also made a few with diamond plate awhile back, let me know if you want one..
Old 11-01-2007, 07:29 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

ORIGINAL: Starfury

Yeah, I've seen that article. It's not nearly as big a problem as they make it out to be (hooray sensationalist media). No, it's not as safe as other designs, but you have to get hit just right to cause that kind of explosion.

You have to realize, these cars aren't really safe in any way, shape, or formwhen compared to modern vehicles. If you get hit that hard from behind in a pre-68 car, the steering column is going to crush your chest and kill you anyway.

ur gonna go towards the seat not the steering column in a rear end collision and have some whiplash more than likely thanks to the low back seats un less u have a later model with the high backs

Old 11-01-2007, 08:08 PM
Hawkins 812
2nd Gear Member

Someone posted this info a few weeks back i believe. Interesting read. I do agree that a fuel tank in the rear is more dangerous during a rear-end collision than todays cars. [&:]
Old 11-01-2007, 09:30 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rmodel65

ur gonna go towards the seat not the steering column in a rear end collision and have some whiplash more than likely thanks to the low back seats un less u have a later model with the high backs
Hrm, true. Not sure where my train of thought went with that one...
Old 11-01-2007, 09:50 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Despite the unsafeness (if thats a word) or my car, I don't think I can add a steel plate anyway! With the fold down rear seat and the trap door, there's no place for one. But hopefully in this worst case senario the trapdoor and metal/composite back of the fold down will help keep the gas out!
Old 11-02-2007, 01:04 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Honest any car can kill you at any speed i feel safer in my 68 then any new car i know how much metal is between me and whatever hits me.My truck a 83 chevy has dual gas tanks and the rear one is close to touching the rear bumper but it dont bother me.People scared they will wreck normaly do.You can make a car safer but not 100% safe drive what you love lifes to short to worry if im gonna die soon.Best thing to carry is a small fire extinguisher mounted close enough you can grab it.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:16 AM
rbrown22
2nd Gear Member

I got one worst than my Mustang... 65 Chevy C10 pickup... Gas tank is right behind the bench seat... You can even hear the gas move around..

Quick Reply: Mustang death trap?