Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Mustang death trap?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 10:45 PM
doc540
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Mustang death trap?

Don't mean to be a doom and gloom'er, but....

The real injury danger in a classic Mustang is from a frontal collision.

1. A hard frontal hit will drive the steering column toward your chest as you thrust toward the horn button. Classic Oldsmobile steering wheel emblems were called "cookie cutters" by emergency room doctors. The Mustang horn button is more of a mini-battering ram.

2. The dash ***** will perforate your knees like 12ga slugs.

3. But the most significant and possibly fatal injury occurs when your head hits the upper area of the windshield and roof. That contact either breaks your neck, cracks your skull or both even with a secure lap belt.

The lack of three point belts exponentially increases your risk of injury.

Compared to a modern engineered vehicle, my '65 Coupe is a deathtrap, and I remember that every single time I drive it out of the garage.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:01 PM
F14chuck
1st Gear Member

I bought and installed the mod from Am Pony in my 69 vert last fall. It cost around $100 plus shipping, I think. Did not fit well at all. Called them and they inferred that I wasn't the only one complaining and that they were considering taking it off their catalog.

I ended up using cardboard to make a template and recut what I had bought to make the best out of the situation. Would have been much cheaper to buy the sheet metal locally. Thats what I get for being lazy in the first place. Also had to reroute the hyd lines for my top.(in case any vert owners are reading).

If you do this buy some silicon to put on the metal to reduce squeaks. And be careful where you drill holes.

My next step will be to cover the tank with sheet metal.

F14chuck
Old 11-02-2007, 11:16 PM
Jamison
1st Gear Member

forgive my being a dumb newbie but you people that have put fuel cells in your mustang do you just mount them on top of the old gas tank or do you remove the old tank and weld in some sheet metal ? Do they make safer tanks that will fit in the stock location? I want to make my car safer this winter and some of the mods i want to do are adding flashers to the coupe, higher seats and a better steering wheel. ive already added disc brakes subframes, TCP power rack and front suspension etc.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:12 AM
289FB
2nd Gear Member

Jamison is nothing to forgive, you are not dumb because you are a newbie, this web is to lern by asking questions all the members are always willing to help, check catalogslike www.mustangsplus.com under fuel system and you can see the different cell tanks for our cars, also they are many other venders that offer the same items.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:51 AM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

Old Fridge doors are a good sorce of metal and are usually free. Thats what I used on mine.A little undercoating helps also with the sound.Also I put several bolts with large washers in just in case. I will have to agree with doc on the frontal impacts and lack of a shoulder restraint being the number one risk. You are going to kiss the windshield in a hard frontalimpact. Maybe James can include a "How to" in the FAQ section.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:50 AM
Arcticspook
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: baddog671

I think it would mostly depend on what hits and and what speed. If a metro slams into ur butt at 40, he's gonna take all the damage, but if a F150 hits you at 40, I'd have to say your gonna be worse off. Theres only a few inches between the very rear of the car and the gastank, just a poor design..

www.tankarmor.com makes a heavy steel plate that encloses the tank and "prevents" the explosive from going up into the cabin

Acouple vendors offer the steel seat divider. I also made a few with diamond plate awhile back, let me know if you want one..
I would love one if this offer is still good. Please PM me so we can work out specifics.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:08 PM
weires66

my trunk smells a little like gas, but i have some Tank Armor coming in the mail. If I find a pin hole in the tank top, can i plug it with something equivelant to gum or apoxy?