Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Under Dash Wiring Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 10:04 PM
glfredrick

Default Under Dash Wiring Problem

I'm currently working on a restification of a 68, and I'm having a problem with the Painless wiring harness. I'm hoping one of you can shed some light on the subject.

Issue:

The wiper/washer motor and coordinator switch

The Painless manual shows a 4 wire coordinator switch, which inclues leads for the washer pump, low speed wipers, etc. The car I'm wiring has something entirely different under the dash. It has what looks like a motor (it has 2 red/blue stripe wires coming out and it also has a shaft sticking out of one end, hooked to a sheathed wire (like a cable pull)). It also has a stand-alone washer solenoid, and the coordinator switch, which has 4 wire terminals. The stuff is factory -- has all the factory plugs and wires into the factory harness, but nothing much makes sense to me. There is a light green wire w/yellow stripe that appears to go to the door switch on the driver's side. There is another light green wire w/orange stripe that has a built in fuse holder (sort of like you would find on an aftermarket radio) but I can't find a place where it was hooked up.

The Painles harness has two red wires, a black wire, and a striped wire -- not enough to satisfy all the terminals.

Any help? I;m sure confused about this one, and so far, Painless says that what I'm seeing is impossible, but its there...
Old 11-02-2007, 04:21 AM
smittycm
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Under Dash Wiring Problem

I just did the Painless Wiring kit in my 66 Coupe. I know it's not the same application, but the Painless kits are very similar in many respects. One of the biggest problems I had with the Painless Kit is the fact that it DOES NOT include every wire you need to rewire your car. It states in the directions that "some original wiring will have to be reused". It will take a bit of researching wiring diagrams on your part to figure out what those wires should attach to. Additionally, Painless supposedly has a really good tech support line. I wouldn't hesitate to give them a call. I say supposedly because I never actually used them, but read somewhere that they are really good.

I ended up spending an additional $50 bucks or so on wiring from Radio Shack to finish wiring my 66. That made me so mad considering that I just spent so much money on one of their kits. I felt it should have come with everything needed. Unfortunately that's just not the case. My kit didn't come with any of the wiper motor wiring, or any of the voltage regulator-to-alternator wiring. I had to decipher the wiring diagrams for my car and translate them to apply to the Painless Kit.You can find your wiring diagrams in the FAQ's section. Sorry if I wasn't much help, but that's just facts of the matter. The Painless Kit is NOT all inclusive. Good luck!

Old 11-02-2007, 06:22 AM
superdavid
4th Gear Member

Painless kit isn't 100% accurate, but its pretty close. Mine went right in, with the only real issues being with the alternator/voltage regulator setup also...
Old 11-02-2007, 08:27 AM
dozierstang
2nd Gear Member

I got a Ron Francis wiring kit and even in that kit you have to still use your original wiper wiring. It is a basic straight forward wiring. I am doing away with my washer though, so that takes a little headache out of the picture. I do not plan on driving mine in the rain, but just in case I get caught. The ron francis kit did come with the volt. reg. wiring kit. Not sure why painless did not include it.