Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Seasoned Block vs. New Block

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 06:42 PM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

Default Seasoned Block vs. New Block

This was brought up recently in a different thread, but I'll start one under it's own.

I know T&L have great prices on their strokers and that they use a seasoned block. If one was to buy a ford racing crate motor, they use the new "sportmans" block. What are the advantages/disadvantages to buying either engine. A T&L engine can save 3-4K. Is it really worth it to buy a new for racing crate motor or save a bunch of money and use a seasoned block? Will one last longer or outperform the other?
Old 11-02-2007, 07:10 PM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Seasoned Block vs. New Block

If it helps, the sportsman is a stronger block. But for that much of a price diffrence, it should have a Dart block in it.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:20 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

well lets talk apples to apples, so we'll say a new stock block vs. a used "seasoned" block.

used benefits....
some people say they have been strengthened by all the heating and cooling cycles and are now stronger.
if you know they arent cracked or damaged, the block has proven itself to be a quality casting.
much cheaper.

used faults.....
its already overbored so you get less rebuildability in the future
if you dont know history, and it wasnt properly inspected it could be cracked, rotted internally, or otherwise damaged
Old 11-02-2007, 07:47 PM
middiepride
2nd Gear Member

used benefits....
some people say they have been strengthened by all the heating and cooling cycles and are now stronger.
if you know they arent cracked or damaged, the block has proven itself to be a quality casting.
much cheaper.

used faults.....
its already overbored so you get less rebuildability in the future
if you dont know history, and it wasnt properly inspected it could be cracked, rotted internally, or otherwise damaged

[/quote]

boo yah

lliterally like what i was gonna write

i would say with the new ones its kinda like a piece of mind thing. you know its a new, factory dependable casting(ill maybe get arguments over that)
Old 11-03-2007, 08:05 AM
stanger53
1st Gear Member

Assuming the block has been checked for quality, the only advantage to a used vlock is that it has under gone many heat-cold cycles and running stress and the casting has "settled down" and stabilized. Once this happens, it is less likely that any critical dimensions and tolerances will change in it after it has been machined and running. Racers used to take the block out of their tow truck to use since it had been run and stressed already.

The metal in a new block will move around after it has been run for a while, so the clearances in it will change. However, this doesn't make any real difference except for racing engines where a couple of horsepower can win a race. For everything except full track engines, it won't matter enough to worry about.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:01 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

A good engine builder checks the blocks before using them so theres less to worry about.Id pass on anything from ford racing its over priced id look at a world man o war block or even a dart one over the ford racing one.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:54 AM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

I am leaning towards the T&L engines. I have seen the Man o War blocks too. Both look awesome. I noticed the T&L use a seasoned 351 block and FR uses the "new" sportmans block. It's hard to justify spending that much more just for a new block. Sure, there is peace of mind too. Knowing that having a brand new engine under the hood, would be nice. The Ford Racing Crate engines do seem way overpriced, even after shopping around, they are all way higher priced than others. I remember when I had my 70 mustang back in the '80's, it seemed like everyday I had to fix something just to drive the thing. Since I am restoring this 67, I want something dependable, not just in the first year, but year 2, 3, 4 etc. At least until 90K to 100k miles or so. Don't get me wrong, I understand that dealing with a 40yr old car, something will usually arise that will need fixed, repaired. But after spending thousands on a new engine, I want it to run good and strong for many years. I don't want to be stranded down the steet trying to start the car.[:@]

I know engines all have to do with what application one is to use too. But like many others, I want a good, fast, fun,near daily driver, at least in the warmer months. I want enough hp to win a few off the line, with some hp to spare. Thinking of a 408 stroker.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:35 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

I am sure that T&L will build with the block of the customers choice for a few more $$.....
Old 11-03-2007, 05:36 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: zmetalmilitia

This was brought up recently in a different thread, but I'll start one under it's own.

I know T&L have great prices on their strokers and that they use a seasoned block. If one was to buy a ford racing crate motor, they use the new "sportmans" block. What are the advantages/disadvantages to buying either engine. A T&L engine can save 3-4K. Is it really worth it to buy a new for racing crate motor or save a bunch of money and use a seasoned block? Will one last longer or outperform the other?
To compare apples to apples, please post which specific engines you are looking at. When you say you can save $3-4K on an engine through T&L instead of Ford, I'm ASSuming you are speaking about a 347, correct? If so, the difference in price would be $8500-$4084 = $4416. While that sounds like a lot of money (which it is), in fairness, the engines are similar in displacement only.

At quick glance, the Ford has the following over the T&L:
[ul][*]forged crank[*]forged pistons[*]included MSD billet distributor[*]Canton 7qt. oil pan (though would have to change to front sump for a classic Mustang)[*]Boss 302 block with 4-bolt mains, 4.125" max. bore, improved oiling, etc. (retails for $1759 alone)[*]includes water pump[/ul]
Whether you need to pay for the difference in strength and the premium for an engine with all new partsbuilt by the company that makes our cars is up to you. My guess is that you are going to be paying similar dollars for a forged setup with a new Boss 302 block from other builders out there.

Good luck!
Jeff