Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

All of a sudden my car runs like Sh!t

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 10:47 PM
kaiser18
1st Gear Member

Default RE: All of a sudden my car runs like ****

ORIGINAL: F14chuck

Did this only occur at idle? Does it skip/run ruffat higher rpm? Did you try to take it around the block? Your problem could be anything from easy to hard. Need more info to troubleshoot some more. Check throttle linkages and springs. Check the distributor & Timing. Check your ignition system, don't forget the grounds that cause all kinds of weird issues. I've had all these issues over the last 18 yrs with my 302 & Hollly 4bbl setup. Hope its easy, I know its frustrating.

F14Chuck
Yeah most of the issues were in its idling state. Does it skip/run ruffat higher rpm? Nope, seems normal when i get it up to the higher rpms. Didnt attempt to drive it around the block, I would have had to keep it moving and moving fast if I wanted it to stay alive. Just to move it into my garage I had to cover the brake while giving it gas.

Oh, and thanks for the replys everyone. I appreciate them.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:23 AM
opie2@aol.com
1st Gear Member

Check for vaccuum leaks. My guess would be a vaccuum leak in the hose to you vaccuum advance, but when you have idle problems with hissing sounds that go away at higher rpms it's often a vaccuum leak...If the vaccum leak is going to your disturbutor, it throws off your timing too...
Old 11-03-2007, 02:06 PM
mat11089
3rd Gear Member

But that wouldnt do it at idle.Have you ever pulled the vacuum advance hose at idle nothin happens.So i dont believe that is the case.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:15 PM
Bogalu
2nd Gear Member

I had the same exact problem with my holley 670 street avenger. I would have to pump the gas just to keep it running, getting it started in the first place was mission impossible, dont know if I had black smoke or not. The crackling sound or watever sound you heard could be a exaust leak. I have the same crackling sounds 24/7 now. When I get to the higher rpms it sounds like its spitting **** under the car. Gross sounding but I don't have my donut gaskets installed in that area inbetween the exaust pipes and the headers. That is what I have been told is causing my exaust leak. As for the carb, rebuild it. I still had a warranty on mine so I exchanged it for a new one and it ran perfect after that... well after I adjusted the carb a bit. You can go to any pepboys and pick upa rebuild kit. It is actually really easy, like playing with legos... but easier. I was too lazy to rebuild, plus I had the warranty so I just exchanged it. If you think your car could be running a little rich then change out the jets when you go head and rebuild your carb. If its real rich, as in if you stand by your exaust and comment "that is nasty!" then I would go down 2 maybe 4 jet sizes. It will make a world of difference. I believe the jet sizes that come stock in holleys, mine in peticular is 72. So, google you own just in case but that might be a safe guess as to whats in yours. Good luck. Keep us updated on here.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:16 PM
MC
2nd Gear Member

you changed all that stuff, and im not saying this to be rude but.....Fuel Filter? .........Just saying could be that simple.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:21 PM
Bogalu
2nd Gear Member

I went through all hell when I had that problem. My holly carb was only 3 months old when that happend so of course I thought it was everything but the carberatur. Although even more fustrating then that was everything from the fuel pump to the carb itself was brand new. Lines, filter, everything. Was fustrated and excited when I exchanged my carb, fixed my problem... but hated the fact a brand new part went out that fast. Could be worse... my water pump which was only 1 month old went out. I have the worst luck at cars, I could loose a one man horse race, I swear. lol
Old 11-03-2007, 05:52 PM
cmanf
3rd Gear Member

Seems like a silly idea but years with mustangs have taught me new things on every car.
Check your heater hoses and see if the secondary linkage is hanging up on the hose it has happened to me before and same symptoms.
It just holds the 4 barrel open and way to much fuel until 2500 and above. Check the easy stuff first, Linkage
Old 11-10-2007, 01:54 PM
kaiser18
1st Gear Member

*UPDATE* Its been one week and still having the same issues with my car at idle. We got a brand new carb (holly 600cfm electric choke), the install when silky smooth. We no longer get any poping bubbling sound so it sounds like the carb is doing its job. The car fires up fine and still sounds good at higher rpms, its just when you let to drop down to idle with no pressure on the gas pedal when it dies out. Iam thinking maybe fuel pump... any ideas?

*UPDATE* we just replaced the fuel pump and also notice the thicker line the comes out of the rear of the carb to the passenger valve cover was a little loose. So we tighted that and seems to keep an idle now. But reguardless of where we put idle screw, it doesnt seem to keep a consistant idle(normaly it goes to high). It also died a few times when driving around the block. The hunt for whats wrong continues...