Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

All of a sudden my car runs like Sh!t

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 08:48 PM
kaiser18
1st Gear Member

Default All of a sudden my car runs like ****

I swear, when ever I have an appointment somewhere having to do with my car it decides to run like absolute crap. I have never seen it so bad, went from running pretty nice with nothing to complain about to a complete junker.

Basically what happened was the car was idling extreamly high in park, almost as if I had my foot planted. I turned the car off while it was doing this and the car produced a *wishing sound* and vibrated violently, very unpleasant to say the least.

So I went to start it up again since I had to park it in its garage, man was this hard to do. The car was unable to idle, it kept dieing on me if I wasent giving it any gas. Also when I let off on the gas it would produce a series of popping sounds coming out of the exhaust. My dad said he even saw a bit of black smoke come out the tail pipe. I fear something is very wrong
Old 11-02-2007, 09:05 PM
390bigblock1
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: All of a sudden my car runs like ****

haha that sucks i cant help you with that, but i had a date and my car wasnt running so i went to take my moms mini cooper. it would start and i couldnt get it to start i tried for 30 min. so i take my friends suv, and i was 30min late, well when i get back home i try to start it up and it starts right up without a problem. i was pretty mad
Old 11-02-2007, 09:37 PM
70coupe
1st Gear Member

sounds like a carb problem maybe linkage or something.....as far as smoke ....not sure...has it ever smoked before
Old 11-02-2007, 09:38 PM
andrew340
1st Gear Member

that was the most worthless response ever
Old 11-02-2007, 09:46 PM
kaiser18
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 70coupe

sounds like a carb problem maybe linkage or something.....as far as smoke ....not sure...has it ever smoked before
yeah might be the carb, I have always had to punch the gas when starting her up in the morning so it wouldent die, but once i did that it ran fine. As for the smoke, its the first time i have seen it.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:51 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Black smoke out the pipes = too much fuel. Or not completely burning the fuel. When was the last time you changed cap/rotor/plugs/wires? And how new is the carb?
Old 11-02-2007, 10:11 PM
kaiser18
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 67mustang302

Black smoke out the pipes = too much fuel. Or not completely burning the fuel. When was the last time you changed cap/rotor/plugs/wires? And how new is the carb?
cap/rotor/plugs/wires I replaced all of these about 3months ago. As for the carb I have no idea how old it is, it came with the car when i bought it, which was about 4 or 5 months ago. All i know is its a 4 barrel holly carb, not sure of the model.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:19 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Get the model number off of it. If it's an older model before blowout protection, it could have a blown power valve
Old 11-02-2007, 10:38 PM
F14chuck
1st Gear Member

Did this only occur at idle? Does it skip/run ruffat higher rpm? Did you try to take it around the block? Your problem could be anything from easy to hard. Need more info to troubleshoot some more. Check throttle linkages and springs. Check the distributor & Timing. Check your ignition system, don't forget the grounds that cause all kinds of weird issues. I've had all these issues over the last 18 yrs with my 302 & Hollly 4bbl setup. Hope its easy, I know its frustrating.

F14Chuck
Old 11-02-2007, 10:39 PM
mat11089
3rd Gear Member

heres the deal (ive trouble shot a lot mustangs and other classics with the same symptoms) For whatever reason alot of times you can touch nothing and things change,no one knows y.
first-check plugs,lets us know the color and condition of each.I can tel you what is wrong if anything with each cylinder
second-get model number(on front of choke air horn) take it to the local auto store and get a complete HOLLEY rebuild kit,NOT the universal or an off brand kit.Rebuild it its simple.Or have someone do it)Now reset the A/I screws air idle that is.screw them all the way in and the 2.5 turns out.Start car and turn screws in till car stumbles then back out til it runs the best for both screws
Third-now check the timing on it as it will have change with these adjustment.adjust and you should be back in business. Let us know what happens.

Quick Reply: All of a sudden my car runs like Sh!t