Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

V8 swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 12:05 AM
64to66
1st Gear Member

Default RE: V8 swap

ahhhhh... good to know.
i want to go the carb route. Does that rule out 5.0's? I am trying to cast as wide a net as possible when i start shopping for the engine
Old 11-06-2007, 12:08 AM
remicks
4th Gear Member

With the carb route it doesn't rule out the 5.0's, but you will have to remove everything intake up and put on a different fuel pump. You will have to put on a carb intake and a carb obviously. Then you will have that extra equipment sitting around. If you are looking for the least leg work I would look into a motor already carbed, or if your budget permits a crate motor.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:09 AM
mustanglover66
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: connor90

its basically the same thing...302 is cu in and 5.0 is litres

but the 5.0s (at least out of the foxes, actually i think all 302s/5.0s made after 68 or something like that, again not 100% sure) have a 28oz harmonic balancer and i think the older 302s are 50oz. the 5.0s can also come with EFI and a serpentine belt setup i believe. but they both have the same external dimensions and mounting points. again im about 95% sure that is right but you might have to check on the numbers because im going off of memory, and ive been hit in the head a lot so my memory kind of sucks haha. hope that helps.

edit: haha, i guess i type too slow
All 260, 289 and 302 up 1983 are 28oz imbalanced and all since then are 50oz. put the wrong harmonic balancer or flywheel on there and you will have one hell of a vibration problem.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:11 AM
connor90
4th Gear Member

+1 to what remicks said

but if you are really adventurous you could go the EFI route, i kind of wish mine were EFI, you can get a lot more MPG with that setup...but then again it is a classic so it almost needs to be carbed so it looks right, im not a huge fan of the EFI look but that extra gas mileage is very tempting haha. if you did that then you would have to deal with all the computer crap and when it comes to stuff like that i am completely lost

edit: i tried to clear up the confusion on that first part haha
Old 11-06-2007, 12:14 AM
connor90
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustanglover66

its basically the same thing...302 is cu in and 5.0 is litres

but the 5.0s (at least out of the foxes, actually i think all 302s/5.0s made after 68 or something like that, again not 100% sure) have a 28oz harmonic balancer and i think the older 302s are 50oz. the 5.0s can also come with EFI and a serpentine belt setup i believe. but they both have the same external dimensions and mounting points. again im about 95% sure that is right but you might have to check on the numbers because im going off of memory, and ive been hit in the head a lot so my memory kind of sucks haha. hope that helps.

edit: haha, i guess i type too slow
All 260, 289 and 302 up 1983 are 28oz imbalanced and all since then are 50oz. put the wrong harmonic balancer or flywheel on there and you will have one hell of a vibration problem.
haha well i was just kind of way off on that one [&:]

oops, maybe ill just stick to giving advice on brakes next time haha
Old 11-06-2007, 12:15 AM
64to66
1st Gear Member

It is tempting to go efi. i just love the idea of the old school engine with the carb. the look is great too
Plus, I don't to deal with a computer! I like the simplicity of the all mechanical no digital setup.
remicks
4th Gear Member

what remicks said...

but if you are really adventurous you could go the EFI route, i kind of wish mine were EFI, you can get a lot more MPG with that setup...but then again it is a classic so it almost needs to be carbed so it looks right, im not a huge fan of the EFI look but that extra gas mileage is very tempting haha. if you did that then you would have to deal with all the computer crap and when it comes to stuff like that i am completely lost
Good translation
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

The 351c and 351w fit but its a tight fit no notching needed a big block you will.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:19 AM
connor90
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: remicks

what remicks said...

Good translation
haha...i suck at typing my thoughts...the first part was just supposed to mean that i was agreeing with what you said, the rest is just me babbleing.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:48 AM
remicks
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: remicks

what remicks said...

Good translation
haha...i suck at typing my thoughts...the first part was just supposed to mean that i was agreeing with what you said, the rest is just me babbleing.
Fair enough, it worked anyways.

Quick Reply: V8 swap