Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Engine compartment smoothing questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 02:44 PM
109jb
3rd Gear Member

Default Engine compartment smoothing questions

I'm currently in the body work stage of my 1970 fastback project, and I've decided tosmooth the engine compartment to a certain degree. Some differences the car will have will bean aftermarket wiring system (Painless), a Classic Auto Air air conditioning system. I'm going to keep as much wiring out of the engine compartment as possible by running it through some kind of conduit and enclusuresin the fender wells. I am keeping the battery in the stock location too, but relocating the starter solenoid. I want to fill as many of the holes as I can and have the following list of things that need to bolt on in there, or pass through the firewall/aprons/etc.

Speedometer hole through firewall
Holes for Aftermarket Air conditioning
Washer fluid resevoir mounts
Coolant recovery tank mounts
Brake master cylinder
Steering column
One Hole in firewall for wiring bundle (outboard of apron)
One hole in apron for gauge/ignition/alternator/air conditioning wiring
Two Holes in passenger apron for battery cables
Do something with wiring for wiper motor

edit: Forgot to list these
re-routed brake lines
fuel line (stock location)

Am I missing anything obvious?? I figure on using this list and welding up every other hole in the engine compartment. Worst case is that i weld a hole over that I need and then have to re-drill it, but I would rather avoid that if possible.

Thanks,
John B
Old 11-06-2007, 07:12 PM
Mr. Snake

Default RE: Engine compartment smoothing questions

I did that on mine. I will also be doing that on 62 falcon custom that I'm building now. I'm mocking my whole thing up first. Then I'll know exactly which holes I need in which ones I don't. I will mark the ones I don't need, and then take the whole thing apartand weld the holes shut.
I made a conduit that ran along the upper inner fender for the wiring. Always use a grommet where a wire passes through metal. Remember that your wiring will now be exposed to the spinning tire and the debris it kicks up. Protect it. You can also welled up the sloppy stampings on the shock towers and grind them smooth. I moved my battery to the trunk and relocated the solenoid so the engine compartment is very clean.
Good luck.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:15 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Put the battery in your trunk. Will open up engine bay space and better distribute the wieght on the car.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:24 PM
109jb
3rd Gear Member

Mr. Snake, I plan to mock up to an extent, but not to the point of having a fully working car. Just trying to look ahead and plan for everything.

Baddog671, I thought about moving the battery, but I have a couple reasons why I don't want to. First, this will be a weekend driver and not a road racer so I don't see it as all that necessary. Second, although I don't plan on having an accident that spills fuel into the trunk, if it does, I want as few spark producers as possible in the trunk. The battery being the most able to make a big spark, I don't want it near the tank. Paranoid?? Maybe so....

Thanks for the responses.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:01 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Good thinking I suppose. For me it was either buy a relocation kit, or a new battery tray, so it was a no brainer to go ahead and put it in the rear. Lightens up the already heavy nose, puts more weight down on the drive wheels, and just looks cooler in the polished aluminum box.