Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

distributor question and wiring

Old 11-06-2007, 04:42 PM
eep4life
2nd Gear Member

Default distributor question and wiring

ok guys.. so i bought my distributor a very long time ago... like back in feb.. when i started this project and.. i never realized till today.. what it looked like.. and me, not knowing anything about distributors, is confused... know i know that the stock one has a center hook up the goes to the coil... which then feeds the 8 hook ups for the plugs... well here is my dist. and there is no center hook up so can you guys help me with how i hook it up. its made by procomp

Old 11-06-2007, 04:48 PM
109jb
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: distributor question

That is a HEI distributor and the coil is internal.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:53 PM
fast66
3rd Gear Member

Yep,
All you need to do is hook up your plug leads, from each of the eight points as per any other dizzy, and run a 12v ingintion power source to the 12+ plug on the side of the dizzy. easy hookup.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:01 PM
eep4life
2nd Gear Member

oh.. well thats cool... ok so i see on the side peice it is labled TACH and BAT so i just neet to run the ignition to the BAT side and i can run my TACH to the TACH side correct? well that makes things simple.. good thing i caught it because i was going to go but a new coil today....
Old 11-06-2007, 08:12 PM
eep4life
2nd Gear Member

ok so every thing with the dist. is cool but i have know idea what wire goes where... i have three wires coming from the fire wall here is a pic... one wire is red, the other like orange/red with a white strip, and the last one is blue.... oh and the red one has a small wire coming out of it.. i think they use to go to my coil.. well atleast two did... so which is which does any one know... oh and i have a 1969 with a 302

Old 11-06-2007, 08:36 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

You're going to need to bypass the stock ignition resistor wire for this. There's a pink wire coming out of the back of the ignition switchrunningto the firewall connector that feeds one of those wires (I don't have my shop manual handy to figure out which, but you really need to buy one yourself). You need to run a 12ga wire from that terminal all the way to the BAT terminal on the distributor to feed it full source voltage instead of the factory ~6V.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:51 PM
fast66
3rd Gear Member

Or run a relay, using the original 9v ingintion lead as the switching lead. I did this, and Im sure its easier than fiddling around under the dash.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:01 PM
eep4life
2nd Gear Member

ok.. ill get under there on thurs and see whats up.... but just for my knowledge... what are these three wires?
Old 11-07-2007, 12:18 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fast66

Or run a relay, using the original 9v ingintion lead as the switching lead. I did this, and Im sure its easier than fiddling around under the dash.
It's also a mess, and finding the original wire under the dash isn't that hard. There's only so many wires coming out of the back of the ignition switch, and only one of them is a thick pink wire. Clip, crimp, voila. Really, it's not that difficult.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:00 AM
smittycm
1st Gear Member

Thats a tough question about the wires. I took a look at the wiring diagram for your car and the only blue wire I seen went to the windshield wiper motor. As for a red and a red/white wire, there were a couple possibilities. There WAS a red that also went to the windshield wiper motor, so maybe that's what those two wires (the red and the blue) are for. As for the red/white, the only one I seen listed is for the oil pressure switch. Regardless, only one wire (B+) will be coming from your firewall and going to the coil. In the diagram it's listed as a red/green wire. The other wire connected to your coil(-)goes from the negative side of your coil to the distributor.Hope I didn't make matters worse trying to help. Check the FAQ's and pull the wiring diagram yourself so you can see what I'm looking at. Good luck!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: distributor question and wiring