Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

oops my C4 has only reverse...sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 07:56 PM
cylostang

Default oops my C4 has only reverse...sometimes

well... i am now quite embarasses to admit this but when i 1st got hold of my 67(bout a year ago) i figured id do a tranny fluid change, not know much of anthing bout the tranny-save that it was a c4- or how to properly do a fluid and filter change. so i went to the local parts store got some fluid(dexIII i think it was), a filter and a gasket. i eagerly slid under the car and started wrenching-forgeting to warm the tranny- i let the 3 year old fluid drain for about an hour. when it was good and tired of dripping i put the new filter and gasket on(i had a helluva time with the gasket), i tightened the ever-loving-bejewels out of it(second mistake) so much that the cork gasket started to....to....split. i filled the tranny up with exactly 4 bottles of the nice new fluid and called it a day. a week later i returned to my stang jacked up the rear end( it wasnt road worthy at the time and still isnt) cranked the engine over, put it into drive stepped on the gas and....well nothing, so i put it into 1st.....nothing, 2nd....nothing, so i said to hell with it reverse has to work....1000rpm nothing....2000 AHA its wheels are a spinning...2500 nothing.....3000 spinning again and there on out nothing. ok whats wrong with it, i have one theory low/wrong fluid, well thats is two but whos counting. any help would be nice....im starting to feel like the guy who ran water in his engine. i have learn a whole lot since then, just havent had any money to do anything.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 11-11-2007, 08:03 PM
connor90
4th Gear Member

Default RE: oops my C4 has only reverse...sometimes

the c-4 takes type F tranny fluid, hopefully thats just your problem although ive heard of people changing their fluid only to have the detergents in the new fluid break off some of the goo that was stuck to the tranny from the old fluid and get stuck in some of the passages, causing tranny failure. hopefully its just because you have the wrong fluid
Old 11-11-2007, 08:08 PM
cmanf
3rd Gear Member

Uhgg! Sounds like all the friction from the clutches was in your fluid.
On old trans that happens. My Uncle tld me years ago on a old auto if the fluid is dark and nasty and you dont know how long its been like that, save it and put it back in if you change the filter. Same thing with my truck right now I wont change it I know it wont pull if I do.
You need a rebuild Buddy. Also check your linkage you may have knocked something lose or out of alignment.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:11 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

i always used dexy III in my C4 without any problems until i blew the snot outta it (wasnt related to wrong tranny fluid type LOL)
Old 11-11-2007, 08:18 PM
cylostang

well i fugure this car isnt gona be driven for a while cus i wana get everything done-save the major body and aestetic stuff- im kinda happy i need a rebuild cus im just gona spend the extra bucks to get a t-5 and coversion and i guess that also mean i need to get a daily driver of my own(instead of my mums ranger) but thats not on the topic.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 11-11-2007, 08:41 PM
BULLITT GT 390
1st Gear Member

I use dexIII in my c4 and have no problems you are useing the right stuff I think you have air in you' lines if so run the engine at idleand let it warm up and shift it back and fourth keep cheking thetranny fluid at the same time fill as needed till full it takes some time it could take 10 min oran hour I change the tranny fluid in my chevy turbo 350 tranny last week it did thesame thing and it runs fine if thats not it you may have a badvalve body or the beltsare bad if so them you will have to rebuilt. well I hope this helpsand good luck

Old 11-11-2007, 08:50 PM
RolandT3Speed
2nd Gear Member

WTH would anyone knowingly use the wrong fluid in a transmission??

And stock C4 should hold ~5 1/2 quarts of TYPE F fluid.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:40 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

the friction modifiers are different in type "F" fluid definitely need to change it out probably need to check the fluid levwel also and make sure the vaccum signal is hooked up to the modulator if i remember correctly when i built my last c4 1st and reverse use the same stuff so if its working then 1st should be also