Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1971 coupe to fastback

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 08:15 PM
71mustang

Default 1971 coupe to fastback

HI i was just wondering if you could convert a 1971 mustang coupe into a fastback mach 1, its just a thought, since im just starting to restore my coupe. any information about doing this would be great. thanks
Old 11-12-2007, 08:21 PM
hity645
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 1971 coupe to fastback

Yes it is possible but I believe there are strength issues in doin so, use the search its been discussed a couple times...and google.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:40 PM
dcohen
4th Gear Member

its not worth it, if you want a sportsroof, then get a sportsroof

it can be done, but its gonna cost a fortune, and you're going to have to get a sportsroof anyway to get the parts necessary to do the conversion
Old 11-12-2007, 09:48 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

The 71-73 are the cheapest fastbacks i seen some for 6k or less with a good straight body.I compaired the price of a 68 coupe to a fastback 300 bucks more i could buy a fastback.With the 71-73 you would lose money since there fastbacks are cheaper then a 65-70.Id sell the coupe and buy a fastback or use the coupe as a parts car.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:08 PM
dcohen
4th Gear Member

i got my 72 mach1 for 400 bucks

and it runs and drives
Old 11-12-2007, 10:14 PM
71mustang

I got my coupe for 500 bucks and it runs and drives, i completely striped it over the summer and am trying to decide weather or not to do the fastback conversion, i found a guy who might be able to do it, im never going to sell it so resale is not an issue, plus in my area fastbacks of any year, even a rustbucket is going for 5-6 grand
Old 11-12-2007, 10:20 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Id keep looking or look in the next state over even to make it a fastback youll see need one to cut the roof off a fastback. Why not just take the whole car and restore it.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:24 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

dont do it just use the coupe for parts or sell it and buy a fastback this is major under taking esp for a guy who might be able to do it
Old 11-12-2007, 10:42 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

No, you aren't going to convert your coupe to a sportsroof without spending a lot more money than would be necessary to buy a sportsroof.

If your real question is if you can put the Mach I options onto a coupe, then yes, you can. The wiring harness in the dash is a little different, which sucks if you find an instrument panel out of a Mach and want it in your coupe. But, here's some info straight from the 1971 Mustang fact sheets:

EXTERIOR:

Unique hood with twin NASA-typ hood scoops, optional at no extra cost on Mach I with standard engine.
Front hood and fender mouldings color-keyed to exterior body color.
Black ABS plastic grille insert in honeycomb design with bright Mustang emblem in the center...grille includes two sportlamps mounted inboard of the headlights.
Front bumper constructed of molded urethane and doubles as front air spoiler...bumper is color keyed toth exterior body color.
Bright lower body side moulding with lower panel below moulding painted black or argent.
"Mach I" decal on front fenders.
Outside color-keyed dual racing mirrors...left hand remote control.
Bright chrome hub caps with bright crome trim rings.
Black honeycomb lower back panel applique with bright metal mouldings.
Pop-open gas cap.
"Mach I" decal on rear of deck lid.
Deck-lid tape stripes.
Bright metal dual exhaust extensions (on 351-4v/429).

INTERIOR:

Deluxe instrument panel featuring black appliques with simulated woodtone applique on center console portion.
"OIL", "AMP", and "TEMP" gauges in center console portion of the instrument panel.
Deluxe two-spoke steering wheel with simulated woodtone insert.
Knitted vinyl high-back bucket seats with vertical accent stripes.
Color-keyed molded door trim panels with integral pull handle and arm rest.
Color-keyed carpet.
Electric clock located in the left instrument cluster pod. Note, the tachometer option deletes the clock.
Bright metal frame around accelerator, brake, brake release, and clutch pedals.
Rear seat ash tray located in right quarter panel.

FUNCTIONAL:

302-2v V-8 engine.
Competition suspension: extra heavy-duty front and rear springs, extra heavy-duty front and rear shock absorbers, extra heavy-duty front stabilizer bar (351-4v/429) and rear stabilizer bar.
E70-14 wide oval, belted bias WSW tires.

From what I've seen, power steering was still an option, but would have the variable ratio on the Mach (3.2 turns lock to lock versus 3.9 for the standard box).

Standard Coupe weighs in at 3080lbs, convertible is 3200lbs, and SportsRoof is 3050lbs. The Grande weighs in at 3110lbs, the Mach at 3180lbs, and the Boss at 3370lbs. Base weights are for the 250 I-6 engine.

The toploader 4-speed could not be ordered without the 351-4v or 429.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:46 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

What kind of condition is your coupe in (pics?) and what area you in? I have some Mach I's and a fastback that are in line to be restored. I don't mind doing a coupe for a couple of my projects.

Besides, most people think my Grande is a fastback, so there really is no difference, besides I have some extra visibility the SportsRoof doesn't.

ORIGINAL: 71mustang

I got my coupe for 500 bucks and it runs and drives, i completely striped it over the summer and am trying to decide weather or not to do the fastback conversion, i found a guy who might be able to do it, im never going to sell it so resale is not an issue, plus in my area fastbacks of any year, even a rustbucket is going for 5-6 grand

Quick Reply: 1971 coupe to fastback