Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Couple of suspension questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 09:53 PM
morg68stang
1st Gear Member

Default Couple of suspension questions

When dealing with your suspension, is it really worth the money to put all new components in if you're going back basically stock? Most of my bushings and what have you are showing their age and certainly need to be replaced, but, visually, the metal components look to be in good shape. Is there any advantage to buying the kits like you find at Laurel Mountain and replacing everything?

I'm definitely planning to replace my rear springs because I want the rear end to sit up a little higher and I think I have some sag there. Right now I'm at roughly 25" in the front and back from top of fender to ground. That's a little lower than stock right? I'm trying to decide whether I want to raise the rear up a little higher than stock or not. I definitely want both ends to be at least where they are supposed to be.

Thanks for any advice.

Morg68stang

P.S. I would include a pic if I could get my phone to send them on e-mail. My avatar is a pic of the car, but it's sitting at an angle so you probably cant really tell what you're looking at.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:03 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Couple of suspension questions

Im cheap i rather rebuild everything i could id replace things if there cracked,broke rust holes etc etc. I would replace the springs and shocks front and rear.A couple things id change are roller spring perchs baer tracker tie rod ends monte carlo bar and export brace.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:40 PM
choefle
2nd Gear Member

I agree with Andrew, replace the springs and shocks both front and rear. I would replace ALL the bushings. The roller spring pearches are great, but will make the front of your car sit a bit higher, so you will have to cut the springs some. I would also consider replacing your tie rod ends as well.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:49 PM
mat11089
3rd Gear Member

You dont need the roller if your going to stock.I will prob change to them but my susp is setup pretty nice for handling.I replaced absolutely everything to do with the suspension, then you know youve eliminated weak points.Metal stresses and becomes weak even if you can see it.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:59 AM
morg68stang
1st Gear Member

Any suggestions on the best suspension rebuild kit?
Old 11-13-2007, 09:13 AM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

I got the Laurel Mountain kit and I'm very happy with it. It is very complete and uses the right kind of bushings. I think if you were to try to replace all worn bushings and rod ends, etc., you'd spend almost as much money and a whole lot more time.

I think the roller spring perches are overkill for a street car, but the monte carlo bar and export brace are very worth while. I would also do sub-frame connectors.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:27 AM
dozierstang
2nd Gear Member

+1 for the money you spend on getting the bushings, springs, rod-ends, etc. and the time it will take to change all these out, your best bet is the whole kit and be done with it. You never know when you start pulling those components off when something is shot until its too late. Also, don't forget your ball joints. You can replace the upper but have to buy the lower as a kit already pressed into the control arm. I got a suspension kit from Laurel Mountain as well. Nice kit.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:41 AM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TexasAxMan
I think the roller spring perches are overkill for a street car, but the monte carlo bar and export brace are very worth while. I would also do sub-frame connectors.
Have to disagree with you there. My wife owned a 66 Mustang that was all original. I went through, rebuilt the UCAs replaced all the bushings, idler arm, and tie rods. After that the car handled better but still not great. I went back and did the Shelby drop and a set of roller perches and it made the car in to something wonderful to drive. IMHO roller perches are wonderful on all levels of cars from bone stock to circle track. The main reason is by allowing the perch to freely pivot the suspension reaction times are so much faster, and faster reaction times means less spring rebound and more tire to road contact. Also there is no extra spring rebound to deal with from the rubber bushing returning to its normal state like on stock spring perches.

I would rebuild your UCAs rather than buying new because even if you bought new you are better of rebuilding them so that grease grooves can be cut in to the shafts, the cap nuts can be tack welded in to place, the cap nuts don't need to be tightened so much that it puts the shaft in a bind, and so that you can offset the shafts for extra caster.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:00 AM
droptop66

What does the kit cost??? and what is a roller perch???
Old 11-13-2007, 10:28 AM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

I did mine a couple months ago. I replaced everything front and rear. The car is 40+ years old, and I have only had it about 5 months. I didnt like not knowing the history, so now I have a fresh start on the bottom of the car. Now I just have to work my way up to the body and engine

Quick Reply: Couple of suspension questions