Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Who emailed me?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 03:38 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Default Who emailed me?

Someone emailed me about a carburetor question, but when I tried to reply it failed. Post the question here if you can, that way I can respond, and others as well.

And has anyone else had trouble responding to emails that are sent via this forum? Seems to happen to me a lot
Old 11-13-2007, 09:37 AM
specstang

Default RE: Who emailed me?

Hi, It was probably me, but it also did not keep my sent mail so I will try and rewrite the question:
Since you went into a very good detail on carbs I had asked you about the 289 2v,
The problem I have is it starts pretty nicely when it's cold, almost doesn't need any gas if any, warm starts suck, sometimes if it doesn't catch right away needs full pedal depression to start as she wants to flood out (I believe). Passing acceleration is good but take offsor slow startsreally bog down until about 1500 rpm then she finally starts to pick up. Can't swing a 4v right now but wondered if there wasanyway to helpit run better, the carb was replaced with a stock holly remanf., but it doesn't have any adjustments, has temp. choke, and stock fuel line and (new) filters,open side round air cleaner with K&N filter, new plugs, points, cap androtor.
What's your thoughts? Oh and it tends to idle up once she has warmed up... so you have to hit the gas to bring it back down.Thank you!!
Old 11-13-2007, 12:42 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Who emailed me?

It should have an idle speed and idle mixture adjustment at least. What's the ignition timing at? Carbs can be quite sensitive to improper ignition timing, even if only a small amount. And when you start it warm, do you just turn the key and then give it a little gas if it needs it, or do you throttle it first and then try to start it? Also what does it idle at, and does it idle rich?