Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Question of VIN or rebuild info

Old 11-14-2007, 07:43 PM
Tim29A

Default Question of VIN or rebuild info

Hi all. Personally, I got out of 5.0s a few years ago and am now into old hot rods. Long story short, I've been asked to check into some '65 Mustang specifics. Without getting into the details, Car dealer sells muscle cars. Sells 69 chevy and gets deposit, buyer backs out..deposit not returned. Buyer happens to be retired cop. Next day, state boys show up at dealer and find 3 questionable vehicles. 2 are eventually cleared. 65 Mustang is still "questionable" and has thus been taken. Cops claim a patch has been welded in where the shock tower VIN is and a new vin, that happens to match the vehicle and title has been restamped. They say this because A: the patch and B: a couple numbers are shifted. Now, having had a '70. and knowing how shock towers rust, I believe it would be feasible that the tower was replaced. and someone patched the new panel with the original stamped VIN. I don't know that I've ever paid attention to the consitence of that stamp, but I'm hoping someone will confirm that it is not perfect. I can't imagine that someone would patch a perfectly good original tower with a new VIN...and change the other VIN. I have not seen the car, so I don't know that what I think is possible could be. I do know this allegedly a multi K dollar car, so I'm sure things have been replaced. I'm not sure which digits are in question. But if it's common for certain digits to appear "out of place", that may help the defense. I'm thinking it would bevariable characters, such as body and build sequence. Plant would be a constant,body would vary by 3, and engine would onlyby 2.
Any opinions?
Old 11-14-2007, 07:50 PM
6marc5
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Question of VIN or rebuild info

This is funny, right now I'm bouncing back and forth the forums and a restoration page.I think this might help you out. The page is www.prestigemustangrestoration.com/66Conv.html. Check out #4: replacing rust damaged panels.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:01 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

my first guess would have been an "overhaulin'" prank ...

I've seen hundrets of VINs on pictures of mustangs where the VIN is not stamped in 100% accurate. some digit higher, the next lower, different gaps etc.
But I cannot tell for sure as I don't know how they were stamped back then. if it was done manually, then this explains it's all over the shop.
The same on the door tag.
you don't mention how much you know about stangs, so here's the most basic info

the VIN of 65 model is on tyhe fender as you mention and all those cars had a tag on the door that usually matches the number.
Replace the door and it doesn't fit anymore as most people back then didn't seem to bother about that.
The door plate shows VIN and build options

here's more info:
http://autopedia.com/MustangPowWow/MustangPowWow22.html

i'll see if I find pictures on ebay about VINs so that I can show you what I mean with "not properly aligned"

Kalli
http://autopedia.com/MustangPowWow/MustangPowWow22.html

as to the numbers not linig up properly, here's more info:
t
Old 11-15-2007, 03:02 PM
jlg2002
4th Gear Member

The 65 has 3VIN locationson it: left forward fender apron, right front fender rear apron and the door. the door is usually the most questionable.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:42 PM
Oxnard Montalvo
4th Gear Member

Without getting into the details, Car dealer sells muscle cars. Sells 69 chevy and gets deposit, buyer backs out..deposit not returned. Buyer happens to be retired cop.
Bad move. Should've given him his deposit back.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:25 PM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

If it smells like crap, itmost oftenis. Odds of not having one number match the title is great. Car dealer probably knows whats going on. Beware of this kind of deal. I have seen the consective unit numbers (last 6) double stamped in sequence on the same inner fender but one of them will match the tidle and the other locations and usually only be one number higher. Sounds like a scam. You may look for a build sheet taped on the wiring harness under the instrument panel. You may get lucky.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:22 PM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Oxnard Montalvo

Without getting into the details, Car dealer sells muscle cars. Sells 69 chevy and gets deposit, buyer backs out..deposit not returned. Buyer happens to be retired cop.
Bad move. Should've given him his deposit back.
I agree, but only cuz the POS will do something like this. It is a deposit for a reason. So unless he somehow found out the car was bogus, then why give his deposit back.