Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Distributor fixed thanks for the help

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 12:13 PM
syfhler

Default Distributor fixed thanks for the help

I replaced my dizzy the other day and I am having problems with getting it started.

Before I removed the dizzy I made sure that I was at TDC and that the point was on the #1 cyclinder. I marked the position of the vacumm advance for reference.

I was able to get the started after I installed but it is just not running well now, it is running so rough no ammount of advance helps. It will either run or stop running, idle mixture does the same thing. Idle mixture is set to 1.5 turns for a satrting position to tune.

Hereare my questions.

1. To be as accuarate as possibile how do i manually crank the motor to TDC. I was lucky when I removed it the first time but I do not want to crank the motor 50 times to get the marks to line up.

2. The oil pump shaft is a hex shape. If I am off by rotating it one hex farther to the right or left how far off is my timing? I believe I set the rotor slightly counter clockwise to cyclinder 1.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:23 PM
RolandT3Speed
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Please help with Dizzy Install.

What part of the car is a "dizzy"?

Sounds like you got the DISTRIBUTOR one tooth off when you reinstalled.
I did the same thing once.

Just pull it up and move it over a tooth in the direction you think it needs to go.
If you get too far out of whack you will have to start over and crank the engine around until you find TDC.
The best way to make sure you're at TDC is to pull the #1 plug and use a flashlight and a screwdriver to make sure the piston is at TDC.

Old 11-15-2007, 12:26 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

For number one, remove the #1 spark plug, place your finger over the hole and have an assistant bump the starter. When air forces past your finger, you are on the compression stroke. Stop there and use a ratchet on the crank snout to advance the balancer until the timing pointer indicated TDC.

I think your mistake was that you only marked the position of the distributor body (using the vacuum canister as a reference). You should have marked the position of the rotor as well.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:38 PM
NorCalTroy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TexasAxMan

I think your mistake was that you only marked the position of the distributor body (using the vacuum canister as a reference). You should have marked the position of the rotor as well.
+1 That's what I was thinking also.

The rotor position is the important thing. The oil pump shaft position really doesn't matter, but if you are off a tooth on the actual rotor, it could cause the problems that you are describing. Rotate the rotor one tooth in either direction and give it a try again. Keep in mind, the rotor will twist a little as you slide it in the hole and the gears engage.

Good luck!
Old 11-15-2007, 12:41 PM
syfhler

ORIGINAL: TexasAxMan

For number one, remove the #1 spark plug, place your finger over the hole and have an assistant bump the starter. When air forces past your finger, you are on the compression stroke. Stop there and use a ratchet on the crank snout to advance the balancer until the timing pointer indicated TDC.

Texas thanks for info. I did make sure when I removed the distributor that I was at TDC with both my timing marks and the position of the rotor on the old distributor.

When reinstalling I now know that I installed a tooth or two off. For my Newbie questions where is the crank snout?

Old 11-15-2007, 01:25 PM
falconfixer
1st Gear Member

One more 'sympathy vote' - i did the same thing once as well![:'(]
Old 11-15-2007, 01:33 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

Front lower of engine. Where the big pully is.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:06 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Its the 1 inch bolt that holds on your balancer.. put a ratchet with a long handle or a breaker bar on it to turn your motor over to TDC,, just make sure you are timing to the correct stroke,, if you are on the exhaust stroke you will just shoot flames out of the exhaust,,

Ask me how I know this,, My wife was screaming while i tried to start the car for the first time after a rebuild,, "damn it Justin!!, stop turning the key!!! you are sitting therewith this HUGE grin on your face and FLAMES are shooting outfrom under your A$$!!" I was timed to the wrong stroke with open long tube headers..
Old 11-15-2007, 07:01 PM
fast66
3rd Gear Member

As you have had it running, but poorly, It actually sounds like you have mixed uptwo of the spark leads. Check that they are all on the correct plugs. Just being one tooth out would be easily check by adjusting the timing.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:15 PM
mat11089
3rd Gear Member

thats exactly what i was thinking.Youd be surprised how far off u can be and still be adjustable with some turn of the distributor

Quick Reply: Distributor fixed thanks for the help