Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

he bought it

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 04:41 AM
lilrobo
1st Gear Member

Default he bought it

well he bought it the stock setup ( 4 speed ) looks like it had everything there a lot of pcs.. even had the padel ***, with it ,, they should bolt on to the under dash right ,, so what should i expect when changing it about how long would it take in a nice garage with racks ,, and does anyone know about the drive shaft will the auto work ???
Old 11-23-2007, 10:29 AM
JamesW

Default RE: he bought it

Changing the pedal is no biggie. You don't even have to remove the pedal hangar.

You'll need to have the 4 speed block off plate, flywheel, flywheel bolts, starter, clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, throw out arm, block pilot bearing, pivot linkage, block to firewall pivot, shifter, and shifter linkage. Not sure if the auto driveshaft will still work.

If you have all the parts, you can do the swap in a day.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:54 PM
lilrobo
1st Gear Member

what is a block off plate ,, what about starter can i use the same one ???,,,block pilot bearing is that the bearing in the motor ???,,, it came with a hurst shifter and there is a lot of brackets and the linkage is there too the adjuster is there also looks like a point at the end ,, got a new boot for inside ,, and dont know about the speedo cable ??
Old 11-23-2007, 02:18 PM
JamesW

ORIGINAL: lilrobo

what is a block off plate ,, what about starter can i use the same one ???,,,block pilot bearing is that the bearing in the motor ???,,, it came with a hurst shifter and there is a lot of brackets and the linkage is there too the adjuster is there also looks like a point at the end ,, got a new boot for inside ,, and dont know about the speedo cable ??
- Block off plate is the thin aluminum plate that goes between the back of the motor and the flywheel.
- I don't think you can use the same starter, I think the snout of a different length (someone please verify)
- block pilot bearing is the bearing in the middle of the crankshaft. Autos don't have one.
- pointed end thing pushes on the throwout arm coming out of the bell housing.
- speedo cable should fit
Old 11-23-2007, 02:23 PM
lilrobo
1st Gear Member

good deal looks like we will be buying a starter ,,, yeah we have the dust plate thats what i call it lol ,, i guess we will have to change the pilot bearing ,, its going to fun changeing it ,, i see there is 2 different types tranny and close and a wide shifting ,, don't know what we have yet but it will be fun driving it
Old 11-23-2007, 02:24 PM
sixt5
2nd Gear Member

same thing as the dust shield?
Old 11-23-2007, 02:29 PM
lilrobo
1st Gear Member

the guys was kind to give me a 5 bolt and a 6 bolt bell houseing don't know the one that we need ???
Old 11-23-2007, 02:58 PM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

When I purchased my 4 speed set up the drive shaft was the length as my existing drive shaft with the auto. You may or may not be able to use the existing starter that you have now. I have heard of people buying the starter for the 4 speed and having to use the auto starter after all said and done. I guess it may depend on the flywheel or bellhousing. I cannot say for sure since the 4 speed top loader I will be putting in my 68 will be my first mustang with a standard. Let us know when you find out. Good luck.
[align=left] [/align]