Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

C4 Automatic Transmission problems

Old 11-26-2007, 04:53 PM
chrisal

Default RE: C4 Automatic Transmission problems

Sorry for the confusion-it rolls with the driveshaft out.
CanI get to the parking pawl without removing the transmission from the car??

Also,could the car not being started since the removal of the transmission have anything to do with the problem??
Old 11-26-2007, 09:34 PM
chrisal

ttt
Old 11-26-2007, 10:04 PM
Gun Jam

There could be a ignition kill switch that engages if the car is not in park when you attempt to start it.

Im not sure how your trans is setup but on mine there is a cable that operates the gear selector on the side of the transmission. You must run it all the way to the park position then back it out 2 clicks then make sure that the shifter in the car is all the way in park then back it out 2 clicks to N so both the trans and the shifter are in N. THen adjust the cable so it fits into the receiver /bracket on the transmission with zero effort, it must line up exactly.

-Gun
Old 11-26-2007, 10:22 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

When you remated the tranny to the engine, how exactly did you connect the torque converter to the flexplate? Did you seat the converter into the pump properly? It sounds like you don't have any pressure. How much pressure did this pressure washer have? Did you get water in the tranny?
Old 11-27-2007, 08:06 AM
chrisal

What i should have said above is that the car will not go into neutral even though the shifter linkage moves fine. The torque converter moves fine. I have not started the car yet so there is not any fluid transfer. HOwever, i have been informed that this should have nothing to do with a car not going into neutral and that the neutral gear is completely manual.
The shift lever did jam into the ground and put forward pressure on the shifter when i was lowering the engine and trans after pulling them. I have also been informed that this will cause the parking brake pawl, as mentioned above, to jam and that the only way to get to it is to completely dissassemble the transmission.
What do you all think??
Old 11-27-2007, 09:11 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

i think thats it.

not to hijack, but ever since mine was rebuilt and reinstalled when i go into park the car will roll and i hear a click click click before it grabs. i dunno if i have my shifter linkage out of adjustment or if the pawl inside is sticking.

any thoughts?
Old 11-27-2007, 09:28 AM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: my77stang

i think thats it.

not to hijack, but ever since mine was rebuilt and reinstalled when i go into park the car will roll and i hear a click click click before it grabs. i dunno if i have my shifter linkage out of adjustment or if the pawl inside is sticking.

any thoughts?
I think you'll be fine, parking pawl probably a little worn. As long as it will hold your car on a small incline (without the brake) like a steep driveway or something, it's doing it's job, just probably searching for the best "grab". But use the parking brake anyway.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:40 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

whats a parking brake?

seriously though it didnt used to do this, so its the rod inside or its not adjusted in the linkage..... and im NOT pulling that goddamn thing out
Old 11-27-2007, 10:05 PM
TheRed67Dream

I would try starting the car to get some fluid circulating, but it sounds like the pawl is more than likely the issue. My C-4 leaks horribly, but when it has fluid in it, everything works just fine. I've noticed when it's in park and it leaks dry, I have to start my engine and let it idle for a few minutes for the fluid to go through the tranny, then I slide the stick back to R, let it engage, back to N, let it disengage, back to D, let it engage, then back to P, let everything disengage, then it runs fine. I would check the linkage as well to make sure everything is good. I don't know how deep in you have to go to get to the pawl since I haven't gone past the tranny pan and driveshaft seal. Iam aware of what it does though.Hope this helps.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:28 PM
cambo

I think the pawl Sounds like the problem as well. I have the clicking problem is mine so it is warn in the other direction and won't hold hardly anything. My newest problem is a vacuum type line has come off my transmission 66- c4 and now it won't shift out of 1st. I have looked for where it goes and can't see the connection it is a tube with a rubber hose on the end of it. But i don't see any hose barb for it to go onto? Anyone know where to look?