Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

What tool(s) would you recommend???

Old 11-26-2007, 08:23 PM
remicks
4th Gear Member

Default RE: What tool(s) would you recommend???

The best thing I ever bought was the $60 craftsman tool set from Sears. I actually managed to tear down my whole 66 with just that set and a breaker bar. I needed some BP Blaster but that doesn't count.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:27 PM
JamesW

Steve, I'm just down the street in Waco. Lemmie know if I can help.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:47 AM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

get a couple of swivels and some different sized extensions also.. Those things come in handy if you have to replace a starter and your running long tube headers..
+1 on the ratchet end box wrenches too!

I also have a small jitterbug palm sander
Old 11-27-2007, 01:18 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Get a good rollaway toolbox from like Craftsman, with ball bearing sliders, it'll last forever if you use it a lot that way. And a basic professional set, it'll come with the whole range of the basic hand tools you'll need, including but not limited to open end wrenches, combination wrenchs(both 6 and 12pnt) sockets(6 and 12pnt) ratchets, extensions, flare nut wrenches, screwdrivers, torx drivers, alan drivers, a hack saw, depending on what kit you go with, you'll get more specialy wrenches and a larger variety of sockets. It's prolly cheaper in the long run to go that route, if you get a basic hand set, you keep needing tools and needing tools, and buying crap individualy, or in small sets, and end up spending more in the long run. If you get into doing suspension stuff, and engine/drivetrain, then you're going to need a bunch of specialty tools as well. Get a rollaway though, seriously, you'll run out of room for all the tools you'll need REAL fast, and it's nice to be able to roll the whole toolset over to the car. And you really will want the right tools, it can make the difference between a 30 minute job and a 3 day job. Also get a torque wrench, ft-lb to at least 150, and an inch-lb as well, clicker style on both. And get one that has a GOOD lock for the torque setting as well.

You'll also want an air compressor and an impact set, TRUST me that will save you OODLES of time on some jobs, plus busting rusted crap off under a car is 10x easier with an impact gun than it is with a hand tool. Don't forget to get oil for the gun if you get one. An Oxy-Acetylene setup is nice, but in most cases you can get by with a handheld propane torch. And Craftsman stuff is decent, it may not be as good as Mac or Snap On, but those sales jerks only come by if you're going to buy something, so if it breaks it's almost impossible to replace, whereas Craftsman you just bring it in and they don't even ask you questions, they just replace it.

And GET A DEADBLOW HAMMER!!!!! Not a metal hammer(you'll need those too) not a rubber mallet that's basically worthless, but a deadblow hammer. It's hard plastic with sand or beads etc in the head, they don't smash things cuz they're plastic, but the momentum of the loose sand in the head carries the blow through, they are GREAT for persuading parts to move. I use that thing prolly more than any other tool I have.

And yeah, Dremel tools are awsome as well, use that quite a bit.

That's all I can think of now, and I know it seems like a lot, but if you really start doing all your own work, you'll save yourself some money, and a WHOOOOOLLLLLLLEEEEE lot of time by having it all to begin with. I still find myself occasionaly going out and buying tools every now and then. Nothing is more frustrating than trying to do a job without the right tool. and many times it's dangerous without the right tool.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:00 AM
groho
4th Gear Member

the best tool for a 64-66 is a can of liquid wrench! i would immediately buy a 65 service manual and electrical wiring diagram. That alone is worth it's weight. A good electrical wire tester or volt meter and that wiring diagram has saved me multiple times. The compressor is probably the most versatile of all the tools, handling sanding, paint, cutting tools, impact tools, qtr and 3/8 wrenches, etc. One item overlooked is 4, not 2 jack stands. Good luck, and enjoy! by the way, a decent set of tools for your son would be an awesome Christmas present.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:23 AM
arthur
1st Gear Member

lots of wd40 (or something simular ) to loosen rusty nuts,

and further all the mentioned above specially the ratched wrench + sockets
a mig welder comes in handy too.. i bought one for my project and i have used it more than i expected.
a good(capacity) aircompressor. i used it for sandblasting and painting parts.
cut off wheel, grinder.

good luck
arthur
Old 11-27-2007, 08:25 AM
sschanz
2nd Gear Member

Everyone - thanks so much. That's a lot of great advice! Off to Sears I go!

Steve
Old 11-27-2007, 09:38 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

another thing to consider ... you say you're new to this so I think I'll mention it.

the 6cyl car you have usually come with:
4 drum brakes
no powerassist on brakes
weak 7.25" rear axle
4 lug wheels (that's the giveaway)

sad to say the rear axle will never hold the power of the 302, and the front spindles are not really made for the weight of the 302.

I'm in the same boat as you and if you want to upgrade to 302 you have to consider changing rear axles, spindles, brakes, with the new rear axle you'll get 5 lug axles so your wheels won't fit anymore.

I do not want to dampen your enthusiasm, but this is something I didn't know and had to learn the hard way.

I copngratulate you on a nice project car and as some of the others above said, hold up with the V8 conversion.
You'll have loads of fun (just like I did) with doing all the interior, bodywork and repairing all minor things like horns etc. that will seriously kepp you entertained for a very long time ;-)

Kalli

Old 11-27-2007, 09:51 AM
fast65
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: remicks

The best thing I ever bought was the $60 craftsman tool set from Sears. I actually managed to tear down my whole 66 with just that set and a breaker bar. I needed some BP Blaster but that doesn't count.
+1 Ibought a Craftsman tool set from Sears for my car and I use that thing more than any of the other tools in our garage. But like most of the other people said, an air compressor, Dremel and cut off tools with help you ALOT! Welcome to the forums, good luck and have fun!
Old 11-27-2007, 10:04 AM
iamdiffrnt
2nd Gear Member

I noticed nobody mentioned an assortment of clamps (C-clamps, vise-grips, magnets), very handy, also get a good vise. Also, try to buy the best tools you can afford, nothing is more aggravating than trying to use a cheap tool and ruining the part you are trying to use it on.

Good Luck!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What tool(s) would you recommend???