Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Either I really love modifying things OR I am a glutton for punishment 65 9" housing

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 04:05 PM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

Default Either I really love modifying things OR I am a glutton for punishment 65 9" housing

Q. What do you get If an 8" rear end housing for a 64.5-66 Mustang and a 9" housing from a 69 country squire meet in my garage???

A. 9" housing with small tubing housings ends for a 64.5-66 Mustang

This is just a mock up obviously sense the tubes are still rust encrusted but all seams to be going well. The steel piece across the 9" opening is called a Dog bone and is used to correctly set axle depth when adjusting housing length. Once I get it where I want it and have adjusted for pinion angle I will insert another Jig I had made in to the unit to line up the carrier and axle bearing, tack weld the tubes in to place and then off to the certified welder it goes. When it comes back a quick trip to the powder coater and the result will be a 9" housing that looks as good as it will work. Unlike most housings from ford this unit will have both a fill plug and a drain plug.

For those of you wondering what I am doing building a 9" for a first gen Mustang a?? NO I have not abandoned the IRS project, If all works out this unit is going to a friend of mine as part of a trade for a 289 short block he has with only 3000 miles on it. The 289 is currently in his 65 fastback, and he wants to build a 347 stroker which means he needs to replace his 8" rear end and tare down his motor. I also have a 302 that I was going to rebuild for the Galaxie. After we got to talking we realized that a little horse trading was in order and both of us would come out ahead. I may still owe him a little $ but the rear end housing and center-section should get me close.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:49 PM
tarafied1
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Either I really love modifying things OR I am a glutton for punishment 65 9" housing

you are my idol! I love your website. In fact my car is off to the alignment shop with specs from your site! Keep up the projects!!!
Old 11-27-2007, 06:06 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Default RE: Either I really love modifying things OR I am a glutton for punishment 65 9" housing

Very cool man. Very cool.

Looks like it oughta work just fine.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:13 PM
DanK69RustangVert
2nd Gear Member

Now that's cool! If you can do all the stuff I've seen from you, I can surely do the things I want to try with mine - That's it, I'm off to the shop tomorrow! Lets see, I need the cutter, the measuring. tape.... rods for the arc, gas for the mig..................
Old 11-29-2007, 09:48 AM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

Thanks guys!! I will take more pictures as the project goes along, and as always a web page will be written with all the details.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:09 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Nice work Daze!
Old 11-29-2007, 01:21 PM
superdavid
4th Gear Member

dude... you need to be on TV.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:08 PM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: superdavid
dude... you need to be on TV.
That is a good idea but if I did that I would have to hire a staff of about 10 idiots and 2 morons so that there would be enough non car drama to make the show popular [8D] I am content to share my projects through the forums.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:43 PM
Deviousfred
3rd Gear Member

Just for my curiousity what is the purpose of doing this? Is it that the bigger axle housings require wider u-bolts and the stock spring plates won't take the wider u-bolts?
Old 11-29-2007, 10:46 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Looks just like the way ford made the 9 inch for the early mustang doubt anyone would spot it out once done.What made you use the 8 inch axle tubes are they as thick as the 9 inch ones.Speaking of tv muscle car on the powerblock on spike tv needs a new host now.

Quick Reply: Either I really love modifying things OR I am a glutton for punishment 65 9" housing