Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

weiand vs. edelbrock

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 01:17 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

Default weiand vs. edelbrock

Recently developed an intake leak between cyl 2/4 on my 66. I've pulled the intake and suspect it was the crossover that may have caused the leak.The intake is not perfectly flat, but not obviouslywarped.
Looking at the Edel 2121 and the W. 8124.They appear to be very similar intakes, same operating RPM, etc, but the Weiand does NOT have the crossover (which is what I'm looking for), keeping the charge a little cooler. Air-gapwas a consideration, but I believe it's just a little too much for a stock 289 running a 570 performer carb. Wanta hear from the guys who are running these intakes, and want to confirm if the crossover is there or not.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:22 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: weiand vs. edelbrock

i have no firsthand experience with either, but i can say with utmost confidence the wieand is a better intake than the edelbrock 2121 (performer). why? because its a brand new design and they claim:

Dyno testing of the new Weiand 8124 found an additional 14 peak HP and 13lb/ft torque over brand E – p/n 2121. Average torque was increased by 9.5 and HP by 8.5 from 2,200 to 6,000 RPM Testing was performed on a 302 with high flow 58cc heads, 268/279 dur/.522 lift Lunati cam P/N 51023, 600 cfm carb & 1–5/8” headers.
case closed IMO
Old 11-28-2007, 02:43 PM
dozierstang
2nd Gear Member

I am not a big edelbrock fan...I am more of a holley guy, but I can tell you that I agree that weiand is a better intake, however edelbrock does have more to chose from and a good price too. If I could get a weiand for my 390 at a good price, I would do it.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:22 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

The 8124 does have the exhaust crossover, but I just blocked mine off in the heads. It's a better intake than the Performer. And you actually do want some heat in the manifold for better fuel vaporization, but aluminum conducts really well, so the exhaust crossover isn't necessary. It's a bigger intake than the Performer, but smaller than the RPM or Stealth.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:16 PM
htwheelz67
3rd Gear Member

I'm not a big fan of chinese stuff but I bought a professional products typhoon for my 408 stroker, it was polished finish and shipped to my door for nder 200.00. I have had experience with two other ones, one under the summit name and they were cheap and pretty well made, all their intakes have rear crossovers, mine is a stealth copy and even their rpm copy for 289-302's have the crossover.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:33 PM
Reverb
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 67mustang302

The 8124 does have the exhaust crossover, but I just blocked mine off in the heads. It's a better intake than the Performer. And you actually do want some heat in the manifold for better fuel vaporization, but aluminum conducts really well, so the exhaust crossover isn't necessary. It's a bigger intake than the Performer, but smaller than the RPM or Stealth.
Is that right? The heat thing? I always thought that the cooler intake temp was the better (obviously only to a point, not freezing) It's why turbo's and superchargers have intercoolers, to lower the air going in. It's free hp, the colder the air going in, the more you can fit in the cylinder (denser).
Old 11-28-2007, 09:04 PM
Josupait

+1 on Reverb post, cooler intake temp is better! With intake... Victor series intakes are pretty good. But I would have to choose the Holley any day.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:59 PM
htwheelz67
3rd Gear Member

are we talking rear water crossover or heat crossover? most performance gaskets have blockoffs for the heat crossover.....not many intakes have a rear water crossover or passage which wont do anything to cool the intake but can help equalize temps through the block/heads
Old 11-29-2007, 04:53 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Cooler air isn't entirely better. A cooler air charge is denser, so in that regard it's better, however fuel WILL NOT BURN if it's in a liquid form. One of carburetions advantages over EFI is that it promotes better fuel vaporization through the Joule-Thompson effect. It's not the air charge that you want warm, but the manifold itself. When the air/fuel charge enters the manifold, it will absorb heat from the metal inthe manifoldwhich causes the fuel to vaporize in the mixture. This actually has the net effect of absorbing heat from the intake, condensing the fuel/air charge, and changing the state of the fuel to a vapor(yes, the fuel changes from a liquid to a vapor, but the entire mixture DECREASES in volume), all without any major change to the temperature of the charge itself. It gets into some thermodynamics that deals with pressure changes and volume changes of gasses. You also want a warmer fuel/air charge because it needs to be hot in order to ignite, that's what the compression cylce in the ngine is for, the spark plug alone can't ignite a fuel air charge effectively. Ideally you want a situation where the air going into your engine is as hot and as dense as possible, without resulting in detonation during combustion. Since hotter air is less dense, we generally try to get cooler air into the engine, mainly because the increase in density more than offsets the decreased burn rate from a cooler charge. Also, in most performance engines, you can raise compression to get the heat you need for combustion, and often detonation may be an issue, so the cooler air charge ends up being better. The manifold however you want to be able to warm up, though if you touch it while the engine is running, it won't feel nearly as hot as the rest of the engine, as the charge absorbs heat from it. You also don't want too much heat, if the manifold has more heat than you need, then after the fuel changes states all you end up doing is heating the charge and it then begins to expand, losing density.

As far as a Victor intake, I wouldn't put one on anything but a race car, or a monsterous street build with a large stroker.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:52 AM
arthur
1st Gear Member

Testing was performed on a 302 with high flow 58cc heads, 268/279 dur/.522 lift Lunati cam P/N 51023, 600 cfm carb & 1–5/8” headers.
i guess they those results are for the best setup combination they could make.
but what if you have other heads and carb ........?

arthur

Quick Reply: weiand vs. edelbrock