Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

candy apple red

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 08:24 AM
slick66stang
3rd Gear Member

Default candy apple red

ok my car has been in primer since 99. yeah its a long time. i was planning on painting it a pale yellow like springtime yellow but just a shade brighter. my friend has 2 gallons of candy apple red that he bought but isnt going to use. i want a real bright shine in my paint and i know i can get this from candy, would i have to use clear over it or just spray the candy and its ready to go?
Old 12-01-2007, 09:02 AM
cmanf
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: candy apple red

Paint the car gold 1st thin cut the candy with some clear not much just a bit.
And practice this quite a bit before you try it on your car. Candy colors are the worst to try to learn.
The gold is the base you see that makes it pop and if you dont do even spray overlap you get the term Tiger stripes. To much paint overlap on the pass so it comes out darker in the passes.

Been years but the last one I did was silver base with blue so candy blue looked great but a lot of work. I would dream of touching a candy job now for less than 10k.
You ever get a scratch or a dent youll have a tough time ever getting it blended back in.

Dont run away from the idea just practice on some old parts for a couple of weeks try different tip sizes and vary how much clear you cut you red with. Can be fun to do if you not **** about it.

Good luck
Old 12-01-2007, 02:00 PM
Clu7ch
5th Gear Member

Um, Candy Apple Red is a normal Mustang color. It's (more than likely) not the "candy" you are thinking of. Candy Red is a nice color, but it'll cost a fortune and you don't wanna do it yourself unless you are a professional painter and have lots of experiance.

Here's what Candy Apple Red looks like on a classic stang:

The thing that gives your car a good shine is Clear. You throw enough coats of clear it'll shine forever. You can go with one or two coats of clear and than LOAD it up with Zaino wax and she'll shine like no other.

You should find out weather or not what your friend has it actually Candy Apple Red or a true "Candy" red.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:05 PM
Nabster
3rd Gear Member

I think I should just mention, unless you've had the car stored inside since the primer was put on, you'll probably have to sand it all down and re prime it before you can paint it- primer isn't meant to be used as a paint coat for anywhere near as long as you say it's been on there.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:05 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

yeah i think he was meaning a hok kandy talking about striping etc like this one

Old 12-01-2007, 05:03 PM
cmanf
3rd Gear Member

I guess terminology has changed Candy Apple was always the rod colors you saw @ shows 20 years back.
Candy we called it cause the translucent top coat like a red Jolly rancher looks.
Candy red
Candy wine My Favorite.
candy blue
Green
orange was always wild looking too.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:33 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

well mine is what your talking about Cmanf with a base mine is meteror maroon then a tinted coated appler red "kandy" and then a clear but there are colors called apple red etc this is probably what slick is talking about?
Old 12-01-2007, 05:37 PM
slick66stang
3rd Gear Member

i saw the paint today its actually called candy apple red and its the color of clu7ch s mustang. i was planning on doing a couple coats of color then a few colors of clear, well my stepdad is going to paint it for me
Old 12-01-2007, 05:38 PM
Clu7ch
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cmanf

I guess terminology has changed Candy Apple was always the rod colors you saw @ shows 20 years back.
Candy we called it cause the translucent top coat like a red Jolly rancher looks.
Candy red
Candy wine My Favorite.
candy blue
Green
orange was always wild looking too.
I know what candy is. I would love to get a car candied! LOL!
Old 12-01-2007, 05:41 PM
slick66stang
3rd Gear Member

too many ants around here to get my car candy

Quick Reply: candy apple red